ATO Community

Australian Citizen leaving Australia

This post is archived and may not be up-to-date.

Views 767

Replies 1

Good Morning All,

I will be relocating overseas to working with a foreign company and have resigned from my current employer after 10 years of continuous full-time employment. 

As I'm an Australian Citizen leaving Australia, is it possible to lodge my tax return early and complete this via etax online?

Further to this, as my new employer will be paying me in the local currency and paying local taxes - will this income automatically be exempt? 

I have no outstanding tax liabilities, HELP debt, interest earnings.

Kind regards,

-D

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Karl5en

Welcome to our community. It sounds like you are embarking on a bit of an adventure, how cool.

There is provision to lodge early if your leaving Australia permanently with no intention to return however if your just heading overseas to work for a period come the end of the 2020 Financial Year it should be easy to lodge online via myTax from overseas.

The important thing is determining your residency status when you leave Australia. It sounds like you are likely to become a non resident for tax purposes this year from your departure date however we have calculators online that will assist you with working that out when the time comes to lodge for 2020.

If you are living and working overseas it may be that only your Australian income will remain taxable up until you return to Australia to live again. Make sure you always do our Do I need to lodge? calculator each year. It will help you determine if you are required to lodge or only advise a Return Not Necessary depending on your circumstances.

Enjoy your travel and remember you can post to our online community anywhere you go.

Cheers
MarkA

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Karl5en

Welcome to our community. It sounds like you are embarking on a bit of an adventure, how cool.

There is provision to lodge early if your leaving Australia permanently with no intention to return however if your just heading overseas to work for a period come the end of the 2020 Financial Year it should be easy to lodge online via myTax from overseas.

The important thing is determining your residency status when you leave Australia. It sounds like you are likely to become a non resident for tax purposes this year from your departure date however we have calculators online that will assist you with working that out when the time comes to lodge for 2020.

If you are living and working overseas it may be that only your Australian income will remain taxable up until you return to Australia to live again. Make sure you always do our Do I need to lodge? calculator each year. It will help you determine if you are required to lodge or only advise a Return Not Necessary depending on your circumstances.

Enjoy your travel and remember you can post to our online community anywhere you go.

Cheers
MarkA