Announcements
Worried you’re missing part of your refund? Remember, the low and middle income tax offset isn’t a refund on its own – it’s used to offset (or reduce) the amount of tax you pay. The offset amount you may be entitled to is automatically applied and could range between $255-$1080, depending on things like your taxable income and how much tax you’ve paid.
Still not sure? Ask the Community

ATO Community

Re: COVID-19 support - JobKeeper payment

This post is archived and may not be up-to-date.

Observer

Replies 0

I am still very confused about eligibilty for two of my staff across two seperate businesses:

Business A:

Have a casual employee who commenced 17 March 2019. Does she become eligible for the second fortnight? i.e. once a casual has reached 12 months of consistent hours, are they eligible for payments?

Business B:

Commenced trade 1 June 2019. Employee commenced 8 May 2019. There has been mention of exemptions for new businesses for eligibility criteria, but what about the employees?

The literature mentions the tax commissioner being able to make exemptions for these sorts of cases, but makes no mention anywhere of where to call, email etc. Could you please provide those details?
Thank you.

Replies 0

I have started working in a company in June 2014 as casual through a recruitment agency.  From Nov 2019 I joined the company itself but still casual.

In short I was working in the company for 5 years period through recruitment agency and 4 months through the actual company (casual).

Note: my working hours has always been 38 hours and I have been doing it on a regular and systematic basis.

I have stood down from work 22nd of march.

So, I just wanna know whether I m eligible for Job keeper or not?

Replies 0

Hi there,  I currently work 2 jobs.  One is permanent part time and I am still working in this job during COVID 19 and the other I am a long term casual employee who has not worked since MArch and not likely to until after October.  Ia m wonderin if I am eligible for the job keeper payment?

Initiate

Replies 0

Our business was  forced to close.We have applied for jobkeeper  does the ATO acknowledge that we have been accepted ? One employee is eligible .Why would we pay jobkeeper to an employee in advance when we have been impacted financially and cannot open ?Will the atoacknowledge our eligibility ? We could be committed to paying out $1500 fortnightly unnecessarily 

Community Moderator

Replies 0

Hi @zoltan

Thanks for reaching out to us.

We have some more information on our website about who is considered a long-term casual employee that you can check out. We suggest that you have a look at the examples.

While we can't give you a definitive answer via this forum, the fact that your casual employee wasn't working for you for an extended period during the 12 months prior to 1 March would suggest that they weren't employed by you on a regular and systematic basis.

The JobKeeper Payment is a reimbursement scheme. You must pay the minimum $1,500 (before tax) to each eligible employee per fortnight to claim the JobKeeper payment for that fortnight. For the first two fortnights, the payments must be made by the end of April. You will then be reimbursed in early May.

For more information about paying your eligible employees, have a look at our website.

If your business doesn't have enough funds to pay your eligible employees, we suggest that you get in touch with your financial institution to find out what options you have. For example, they may be able to arrange a short term loan or overdraft facility to enable you to make your $1,500 fortnightly payments.

This fortnightly payment requirement is only for eligible employees. It doesn't apply to eligible business participants. This means that your business won't need to pay you and your wife's business won't need to pay her $1,500 per fortnight.

Our website provides more information about the JobKeeper Payment for sole traders and other entities and how it works for eligible business participants.

Good luck with it all.

Thanks, ChrisR

Community Moderator

Replies 0

Hi @WSIN

Thanks for joining the conversation.

The $1,500 fortnightly payment requirement is only applicable to eligible employees. You don't have to do this for eligible business participants. For more information, refer to the sole traders and other entities page on our website. You can also check out our JobKeeper guides.

Hope this helps. Good luck with everything.

Thanks, ChrisR

Community Moderator

Replies 0

Hi @Krissie

Thanks for getting in touch with us.

The alternative test page on our website has now been updated so we suggest that you check it out. Keep an eye on our forum and website for updated information on how to complete the enrolment form.

We also have a COVID-19 support – JobKeeper payment Knowledge Base Article that we will continue to update as new information come to hand.

All the best.

Thanks, ChrisR

Community Moderator

Replies 0

Hi @CAP19

Thanks for joining the conversation.

Good question. For the first two fortnights (30 March – 12 April, 13 April – 26 April), we will accept the minimum $1,500 payment for each fortnight has been paid by you even if it has been paid late, provided it is paid by you by the end of April. What this means is that you will need to make some adjustments to your payroll to ensure that you have made the required payments on time.

The reason why this is important is because you must pay the minimum $1,500 (before tax) to each eligible employee per fortnight to claim the JobKeeper payment for that fortnight. For more information about paying your eligible employees, refer to our website.

Good luck with it.

Thanks, ChrisR

Community Moderator

Replies 0

Hi @cucumberwater

Thanks for reaching out to us during this stressful time.

We now have some more information on our website about the lodgment requirement for eligible business entities.

We have the discretion to give further time, but only in limited circumstances, including if you:

• did not have a requirement to lodge your 2018-2019 return until after 12 March 2020
  • have deferred your lodgment under an extension of lodgment date we initiated.

Examples include:

• You are included in a registered agent’s lodgment program whereby your lodgment due date is after 12 March 2020.
  • You have an automatic ATO lodgment deferral in place as you were affected by the Australian bushfires in late 2019, and you are not registered or required to be registered for GST, so will not have lodged a BAS before 12 March 2020.

Now that we have provided this information, we should have some more guidance on how to complete the enrolment form on our forum and website soon.

We hope you found this information helpful and that everything works out.

Thanks, ChrisR

Community Moderator

Replies 0

Hi @suzitzki

Thanks for joining the conversation. We know how confusing some of the rules are.

Business A:

The casual employee won't be eligible for the JobKeeper Payment because they don't meet the long-term casual employee 12 month rule. To meet this rule, they must have been a long-term casual employee for at least 12 months as at 1 March 2020.

The fact that they have now been with Business A for more than 12 months doesn't matter because the test is based on their length of service as at 1 March 2020. They won't be eligible for the JobKeeper Payment with Business A for the first fortnight or any fortnight during the six month scheme.

You can find out more about the eligible employee requirements by having a look at our website.

Business B:

Assuming they are a casual employee, they won't be eligible in this scenario either as they won't meet the 1 March 2020 long-term casual employee 12 month rule. If they are a permanent part-time or full-time employee, employed as at 1 March 2020 and meet the other eligible employee requirements, Business B can claim the JobKeeper Payment for them.

Of course, Business B would need to meet the eligible employer requirements to be able to claim the payment, which is where the exemption that you were referring to applies. Due to when the business started, it would need to use the alternative test to work out whether the turnover reduction requirement has been met. Our website now has information on this test.

The discretion that the Commissioner has been given is in respect of how to work out turnover reduction. The employees are still required to meet the same eligible employee requirements. In saying that, where there has been a business ownership change, the long-term casual employee 12 month rule can still potentially be met.

Have a look at our website for more information about who is considered a long-term casual employee. One of the examples explains how a casual employee can still be eligible when a business changes hands.

We hope you found this information helpful.

Thanks, ChrisR