Announcements
We're doing scheduled maintenance on ATO Community to bring you a bigger, better and brighter online community.
You may see us go into read-only mode every now and then while we do this. Don't worry! You'll still be able to search the site to find your answers

ATO Community

COVID-19 support - JobKeeper payment

This post is archived and may not be up-to-date.

Initiate

Replies 0

Can an eligible employer who has identified 20 eligible employees only nominate some of them to receive the job keeper payment or must all 20 be nominated.

Initiate

Replies 0

If an employee agreed to reduced hours before the Act came into effect, is that agreement overridden by the Act

Replies 0

Hi all,

I'm a 67 year old sole trader who's been in Australia for over 50 years, but not an Australian citizen. I did try to obtain citizenship many years ago but couldn't supply answers to some questions as I was 12 when we came over from the UK and my parents passed away when I was quite young.

Is there anything I can do? Or should I just apply for Jobseeker, or maybe just retire? I really would like to keep my business afloat.

Thank you,

Clivew

Initiate

Replies 0

Hi

I'm confused about the way to treat casuals. If they meet all the qualifications (citizenship, length of tenure in one job etc) how do we calculate their JobKeeper payments? Is it really $1500 a fortnight for each person (as opposed to FTE)?

Does this mean that each employee (casual) gets $1500 a fortnight even if they might only have worked 12 hours a week regularly?

Thanks, in anticipation

Initiate

Replies 0

According to Xero (we process payroll via this accounting package), as at 14/4/20

• Xero’s JobKeeper feature is coming soon. In the meantime, set up a new pay item in Xero Payroll if you need to record JobKeeper payments.

• Once Xero’s new feature is available, we’ll explain how to edit the pay item so it can be reported to the ATO with STP. 

How are we meant to comply with the requirement as outlined in the ATO FAQ:

Employers will need to satisfy payment requirements for their eligible employees in respect of each 14 day
period covered by the scheme. The first period starts on Monday 30 March 2020 and ends on
Sunday 12 April 2020."

I am anxious that we don't suffer because of the speed of the roll-out of this program and our software supplier's inability to respond in a timely manner.

Apart from other considerations, passing legislation on the 9th April and expecting compliance a few days later seems far-fetched.

At the moment, it would appear that even if I could calculate exactly how much each employee should be paid under JobKeeper, there's no way for me to currently communicate/lodge that with the ATO.

Thanks in anticipation

Replies 0

I'd like to know if I'm eligible to apply for jobkeeper payment. I am currently holding a bridging visa A waiting to get approved for RSMS 187. I'm working full time since October 2017 for the same employer.

ATO Certified Response

Community Moderator

Replies 0

Hi @zoltan

Thanks for reaching out to us.

Now that the legislation has passed, we have updated our website with information about business owners actively engaged in their business and their eligibility for the JobKeeper Payment. As you will see, actively engaged business owners will also qualify for the payment but there are some limitations. We will have more information on this soon so keep an eye on our website.

In the meantime, we recommend that you check out the all of the JobKeeper Payment section of our website as it contains a lot of useful information about things like eligibility and how to enrol and apply for the payment.

Good luck with it all.

Thanks, ChrisR

ATO Certified Response

Community Moderator

Replies 0

Hi @PeterM and @GraceT

Thanks for your posts.

We now have some information on our website about paying your eligible employees the JobKeeper Payment. It explains how to pay your employees, when you will be required to make the payments and how much you will be required to pay.

You may also find the page about how much you will get from your employer helpful too. It explains it from the employee's perspective.

We also suggest that you take a look at the coronavirus and Australian workplace laws page on the Fair Work Ombudsman's website.

We hope it all goes well for you.

Thanks, ChrisR

ATO Certified Response

Community Moderator

Replies 0

Hi @melindan

Thanks for your post.

We now have some information on our website about the JobKeeper Payment and eligible employers that we encourage you to look at. The second link provides more guidance about how to determine a fall in turnover as well as some information for not-for-profit organisations (including charities).

While there is a lot of information, you will see that there is still more to come. In turn, we recommend that you keep an eye on our website over the coming days and weeks.

Enrolments for the payment start on 20 April. You can find out more about how to enrol and apply for the JobKeeper payment on our website.

We hope you found this information helpful.

Thanks, ChrisR

ATO Certified Response

Community Moderator

Replies 0

Hi @JerryL

Thanks for your great question.

We now have some information about how to determine a fall in turnover on our website. To work out your fall in turnover, you can compare either:

• GST turnover for March 2020 with GST turnover for March 2019
  • projected GST turnover for April 2020 with GST turnover for April 2019
  • projected GST turnover for the quarter starting April 2020 with GST turnover for the quarter starting April 2019.

If you work out that you qualify for the JobKeeper payments for the first fortnight because your turnover has declined by the relevant amount, you remain eligible and do not need to keep testing turnover in the following months.

For more information about the JobKeeper Payment, refer to our website.

Good luck with it all.

Thanks, ChrisR