Announcements
We’re in read-only mode while we do some scheduled maintenance to bring you a bigger, better and brighter online community.
You can still search the site to find answers or take a look at our current top 10 questions.

ATO Community

COVID-19 support - JobKeeper payment

This post is archived and may not be up-to-date.

ATO Certified Response

Community Moderator

Replies 0

Hi @Ron1

Thanks for your posts.

You can now find out how to enrol and apply for the JobKeeper payment on our website. It explains that you will need to estimate how many employees will be eligible for the first JobKeeper fortnight and the second JobKeeper fortnight when you enrol. You will then be required to identify each of your eligible employees in the application form.

Regardless of the hours that your employee has agreed to work, you must pay the minimum $1,500 before tax to each eligible employee per fortnight to claim the JobKeeper payment for that fortnight. For more information about paying your eligible employees, refer to the JobKeeper Payment section of our website.

If you have any questions about workplace obligations, we suggest that you get in touch with the Fair Work Ombudsman. You can also check out the coronavirus and Australian workplace laws page on the Fair Work website.

We hope everything works out for you.

Thanks, ChrisR

Community Moderator

Replies 0

Hi @Clivew

Thanks for reaching out to us during this stressful time.

Now that the legislation has been passed, we have updated the JobKeeper Payment section of our website. We don't have much information about sole traders yet but we should be updating our website soon. In turn, we recommend that you keep an eye on it over the coming days and weeks.

In the meantime, you can still check out the JobKeeper payment fact sheets on the Treasury website. The frequently asked questions fact sheet provides some details about sole trader eligibility including that you need to be an Australian citizen, the holder of a permanent visa, or a Special Category (Subclass 444) visa holder at 1 March 2020.

As a UK citizen living in Australia, you may want to get in touch with the Department of Home Affairs to find out what your immigration status is. While we can explain the eligibility requirements, we can't say whether you are a permanent visa holder.

If you're not eligible for the JobKeeper Payment, you may be eligible for one of the other COVID-19 measures which you can read about on our website.

Good luck with it all.

Thanks, ChrisR

ATO Certified Response

Community Moderator

Replies 0

Hi @Alpop56

Thanks for your posts.

Now that the legislation has passed, we have updated the JobKeeper Payment section of our website where you can find out about paying your eligible employees, including how to pay them, when to pay them and how much to pay them.

You will not be eligible for the JobKeeper payment if you pay your nominated employee less than $1,500 per fortnight. This means that employees who would usually be paid less (e.g. a casual employee working 12 hours a week) must be paid $1,500 per fortnight.

For the first two fortnights (30 March – 12 April, 13 April – 26 April), we will accept the minimum $1,500 payment for each fortnight has been paid by you even if it has been paid late, provided it is paid by you by the end of April. This means that you can make two fortnightly payments of at least $1,500 per fortnight before the end of April, or a combined payment of at least $3,000 before the end of April. This is to give employers time to make the necessary adjustments.

We wish you all the best with it.

Thanks, ChrisR

Replies 0

Thank you @ChrisATO 

I'll do what you recommend.

Clivew

ATO Certified Response

Community Moderator

Replies 0

Hi @kay88

Thanks for getting in touch with us.

You will be an eligible employee if you meet all the eligibility requirements. Of course, that assumes that your employer meets their requirements too. For more information about eligible employers and eligible employees, have a look at our website.

One of the eligible employee requirements is that you were an Australian resident (within the meaning of the Social Security Act 1991) as at 1 March 2020. The Services Australia website states that you’re an Australian resident if you live in Australia and are either:

• an Australian citizen
  • a permanent residence visa holder, or
  • a protected Special Category visa (SCV) holder.

If you're not sure about what your current bridging visa is (temporary, permanent or otherwise), we suggest that you get in touch with the Department of Home Affairs.

If it turns out that you're not eligible due to your visa, you may be able to take advantage of one of the other COVID-19 measures, e.g. early release of super. Refer to our website for more information.

We hope you found this information helpful.

Thanks, ChrisR

Initiate

Replies 0

Thank you @ChrisATO ,

I have an employee who is permanently employed but doesn't wish to return to work as they are fearful of contracting the virus and taking it home to their family. They have no medical condition and are not ill. They are unable to access 'sick leave'.

Does this person qualify for JobKeeper if they have no medically approved reason to stay away from the workplace?

Thanks in anticipation.

Replies 0

Hi ATO,

Our company April fortnightly pay periods are as follow :

20/03 - 02/04 (pays day on 02/04)

03/04 - 16/04 (pays day on 16/04)

17/04 - 30/04 (pays day on 30/04)

Which two of our April fortnightly pay periods are in line with the ATO JobKeeper Payment fortnightly periods of 30/03 - 12/04 & 13/04 - 26/04 ?

I'm new

Replies 0

My employer has stood me down without pay (under the Fair Work clause allowing so, indicating there is no work for me to do). Initially I was hopeful about JobKeeper. I am the breadwinner for my family and $3000 a month ($1500 per fortnight) is still just enough to keep the bills paid for us. 

Then I read that JobKeeper is getting taxed like regular income. JobKeeper is getting paid to my employer by the ATO. Only for the ATO to take tax off it, to the point where I would be off exactly the same on JobSeeker. I fail to see how this is an incentive for my employer to keep me. They were always going to keep me on board, just unpaid, and since JobKeeper is almost the same as JobSeeker after tax, why wouldn't I go out and look for other work? I understand JobKeeper helps still-running but suffering businesses keep people on. I don't see how it helps employees at businesses who were keen to claim "no work to do, so unpaid" to minimize their costs while we have to sit and wait on too little income. 

I'm new

Replies 0

Hi, I'm a sole trader and only registered for GST in December 2019. I have just submitted my first BAS (past the date of 13 March that was stated) and also I have just got an appointment with my accountant to do my tax for 2018-2019 which isnt due until 31 May 2020. According to the criteria I am outside the dates, can I apply for an exemption considering my tax is not yet due? Also I didn't have gst last year but my turnover is definitley down by 30% for April and into the forseeable future. Will I still be eligible ? 

Thank you

Initiate

Replies 0

To All who are subject to JobKeeper Payments

The bottom line is   Your boss has to register and then pay you $750 Per Week fortnightly through the month of April then at the end of April he is reimbersed the money he has paid out  and this repeats over the next 5 months until he gets his money back.

Ask yourself how many bosses have enough money in the buisiness to pay out the amount required to be qualified for JobKeeper. Just imagin a company with 200 employees the amount to be paid out of the company would be $600000 how many could carry that for 6 months..If you read through the ATO website re this, it clearly states what the bosses have to do. From were I sit its as though the gov has promised all this to look good but have made it difficult if not impossible for the average people to get it.

I'll bet they don't win the next election when everyone realises whats actually happening