ATO Community

Car expenses for driving test?

This post is archived and may not be up-to-date.

Views 1165

Replies 3

Hi Buddies, 

I need your help on my personal case. I am an embedded software engineer and working on vehicle tracking devices. I installed these tracking devices on my personal car to do software functionalities tests. (The software is continued to develop and the change is applied on my testing devices on my car)

#1 In this case, what's sort of expenses can I claim for?

#2 The travelling logs has been recorded in our tracking system, can I extracted it and use as the log book? 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Community Moderator

Replies 0

Hi @truongnh

Welcome to the community.

@macfanboy is correct. One of the allowable methods to calculate deductions for car expenses is the logbook method.

We have some useful information about car expenses as well as some more detailed information about the logbook method on our website.

The logbook can be an electronic or pre-printed logbook. In addition to the logbook, other records that you need to keep are:

• evidence of your actual fuel and oil costs, or odometer readings on which you estimate your fuel and oil use
  • evidence of all your other car expenses.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

KylieS

3 REPLIES 3

Taxicorn

Replies 1

If the logs show work v personal and cover at least 12 weeks then you may be able to use them for a log book claim.

Else just claim the recorded kms (upto 5,000 kms) at 68 cents per km ($3,400)

Replies 0

Thank for your information. 

Do I need any other documents rather than log book to claim? (ex: confirmation from my employer)

Cheers,

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Community Moderator

Replies 0

Hi @truongnh

Welcome to the community.

@macfanboy is correct. One of the allowable methods to calculate deductions for car expenses is the logbook method.

We have some useful information about car expenses as well as some more detailed information about the logbook method on our website.

The logbook can be an electronic or pre-printed logbook. In addition to the logbook, other records that you need to keep are:

• evidence of your actual fuel and oil costs, or odometer readings on which you estimate your fuel and oil use
  • evidence of all your other car expenses.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

KylieS