ATO Community

Claiming meal allowance

This post is archived and may not be up-to-date.

Views 1305

Replies 3

Hi,

I've had to travel interstate for work twice, for 2 weeks at a time. Each time, I was paid a lump sum meal allowance by the employer (either before or after the trip).

• Both these times, I did not use the full amount paid to me. I.e. I have kept some of the leftover allowances.
  • Both these times I was paid and spent under the Commissioner's reasonable amounts.
  • I've kept receipts for most of my meals. I only have the EFTPOS receipts for some of the meals.
  • The allowances did not appear on my pay slips (and I assume won't appear on the payment summary).

I'm a little confused about which part I declare and claim deductible for, if at all. Is it the amount I spent? The amount I didn't spend? All of the allowances?

Thanks for your help in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Jasmine2,

Welcome to our Community!

We've answered a similar query previously on our Community; check out our response here on Meal Allowance for more information.

Hope this helps, JodieH.

3 REPLIES 3

Champion

Replies 2

Hi @Jasmine2 

It works something like this;

Allowances - Increases gross income

Deductions - Reduces gross income

The total amounts don't need to be the same, they need to be reasonable and supported.

If the "lump sum" was not on a payslip, how does that relate the the business providing an allowance - sounds more like a personal arrangement in order to incentivise your travel. Or even more like a reimbursement, which would mean the tax claim moves from you to the business as they paid you for it and you weren't out of pocket.

If you were to claim a deduction it would be the amounts you actually spent - within the reasonable amounts, meaning if the amounts you spent are more, you wouldn't be able to claim more - just the reasonable amount; if you spent less, you would claim just the amount spent and not more than that.

Replies 1

Thanks for your reply!

To clarify, the amount I received as allowance appears on a separate 'receipt' that gets automatically sent put via email after my trip and the amount of allowance has been approved. However this amount does not appear on our pay slips.

So would I claim deduction for the amount I spent on meals while working interstate, even though they were paid for using the allowance given to me?

And would I not declare any of the allowance given as they did not appear on my payslip?

Thanks again.

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Jasmine2,

Welcome to our Community!

We've answered a similar query previously on our Community; check out our response here on Meal Allowance for more information.

Hope this helps, JodieH.