Announcements
Looking for information on the JobKeeper extension? Watch the video in our latest news article.

ATO Community

Concerns about Penalties Applied to Overdue Tax Returns

This post is archived and may not be up-to-date.

Highlighted

I'm new

Views 713

Replies 1

I recently found out - after finally linking my mygov account to the ATO - that I have three separate tax returns overdue for 2015-2016, 2016-2017, and 2017-2018. 

I'm a 20 year old university student - who works casual hours, earning on average $6,000-8,000 per financial year - and back in 2015, my parents' tax advisor told me there was no need in me lodging a tax return. At the time, however, I didn't realise that any tax withheld by the ATO would need to be claimed by myself. So, I held off checking the ATO website until recently - to check my HECS-HELP debt - and discovered my overdue returns.

I have now made lodgements for all my overdue tax returns. However, will the ATO still penalise me for this?

Edit: Neither my parents nor I received any notifications about my overdue tax returns? Would this affect my situation?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Quack,

Welcome to our Community!

We can provide general information here on our Community, however we can't access your account to see if any penalty for late lodgment has been applied.

A similar question about late lodgment of tax returns and penalties has been answered previously here on our Community.

If all your lodgments are now up to date and a failure to lodge penalty has been applied to your account, you can phone us on 13 11 42 to speak with an operator and request a remission.

Thanks, JodieH.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Quack,

Welcome to our Community!

We can provide general information here on our Community, however we can't access your account to see if any penalty for late lodgment has been applied.

A similar question about late lodgment of tax returns and penalties has been answered previously here on our Community.

If all your lodgments are now up to date and a failure to lodge penalty has been applied to your account, you can phone us on 13 11 42 to speak with an operator and request a remission.

Thanks, JodieH.