Announcements
What's the right super fund for you? Although super may not be on the top of your list now, keeping track of your super can help maximise your savings for when you retire. Try out the new YourSuper comparison tool and choose a super fund that meets your needs. Still got questions about super? Ask the Community

ATO Community

DASP / AUS Citizen / Leaving Australia indefinitely

This post is archived and may not be up-to-date.

I'm new

Views 1002

Replies 2

Hi, I've just become an AUS citizen, I am leaving back for Europe indefinitely. 

I would like to withdraw my super, can I apply for DASP? If so, what if I decide to come back in 10 years? I don't plan to come back at the moment. But without an income in Australia I am losing my super to the fees.

Or would a SMSF be the way?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 0

Hi @MarekN 

DASP is only available for temporary residents who came into Australia under a temporary visa and is departing Australia permanently. To qualify, you cannot also be a permanent resident or an Australian Citizen.

As you have just recently attained Citizenship, you are subject to the same "preservation rules" as all other citizen of Australia. This means the "conditions of release" under which you will be able to access super if satsified, do not include DASP. The conditions of release available to you are as follows:

The most common conditions of release for paying benefits are that the member:

In special circumstances, at least part of a member’s super benefits can be released before the member has reached preservation age. These are:

Rolling over your super into an SMSF will not be a solution, as they are regulated by the same law as that applies to retail superannuation fund.

If you are concerned about fees erroding into your Superannuation balances, you should seek professional financial advice in Australia.

Hope this helps

R

2 REPLIES 2

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 0

Hi @MarekN 

DASP is only available for temporary residents who came into Australia under a temporary visa and is departing Australia permanently. To qualify, you cannot also be a permanent resident or an Australian Citizen.

As you have just recently attained Citizenship, you are subject to the same "preservation rules" as all other citizen of Australia. This means the "conditions of release" under which you will be able to access super if satsified, do not include DASP. The conditions of release available to you are as follows:

The most common conditions of release for paying benefits are that the member:

In special circumstances, at least part of a member’s super benefits can be released before the member has reached preservation age. These are:

Rolling over your super into an SMSF will not be a solution, as they are regulated by the same law as that applies to retail superannuation fund.

If you are concerned about fees erroding into your Superannuation balances, you should seek professional financial advice in Australia.

Hope this helps

R

Anonymous

Replies 0

@MarekN 

Maybe give some consideration to rolling over your funds to an Retirment Savings Account (RSA), low returns but usually no fees.

ASIC approved RSA providers can be found on their website here.