Announcements
We’re in read-only mode while we do some scheduled maintenance to bring you a bigger, better and brighter online community.
You can still search the site to find answers or take a look at our current top 10 questions.

ATO Community

Re: Deducting occupancy expenses for a home office while getting Centrelink rent assistance

This post is archived and may not be up-to-date.

Initiate

Views 1050

Replies 2

Hi,

I'm rent a unit, get rent assistance from Centrelink (in addition to the family tax benefit) and use one of the rooms as a home office for a contract remote job.

Can I still deduct part of my rent as occupancy expenses for the home office, if yes - does it affect deduction amount (total rent X fraction of total floor area for the home office X fraction of the year I'm working) ?

Cheers,

Eugene

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Taxicorn

Replies 1

It would be (Rent - Rental assistance) x floor area/house area x days used.

I presume that there is no other external office to work and you are forced to always use your 'Home Office' at home?

There are other things you can claim

2 REPLIES 2

Most helpful response

Taxicorn

Replies 1

It would be (Rent - Rental assistance) x floor area/house area x days used.

I presume that there is no other external office to work and you are forced to always use your 'Home Office' at home?

There are other things you can claim

Initiate

Replies 0

Thanks, now clear.

Utilities and phone/internet cost deductions are clear, the question was essentially about the rent part.

Yes, no other external office, and all contract work (essentially a weekend job, an addition to normal office one) is done from home.