Announcements
Curious about the JobMaker Hiring Credit? Have a read about who is eligible and how to register.

ATO Community

Dentist - claiming deduction for Australian Dental Council Exam

This post is archived and may not be up-to-date.

Views 868

Replies 2

My friend is an overseas trained dentist, who is permanent resident of Australia and working as a dental assistant in Australia. While working as a dental assistant, she also took some tutorial course from dental training organisation for the Australian Dental Council exams and then passed the exams. She is now registered as a licensed general dentist with the Australian Dental Council.

Can she claim in her tax return, tax deduction for all the expenses incurred in relation to their ADC exams & study costs? Please advise.

I believe these expenses are relevant and incidental to the current work activities. Undertaking the course & ADC exams and obtaining the general dentist licence has made her better equipped to perform her dental job and will assist her in promotion to higher grade as a dentist in current job.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Taxicorn

Replies 1

@SJtax 

There is a difference between being a Dentist Assistant and being a Dentist.

Because the eductaion/expenses related to aquiring a new job (as a dentist) then it is at a point too soon.

TR 98/9 example 58-62

2 REPLIES 2

Most helpful response

Taxicorn

Replies 1

@SJtax 

There is a difference between being a Dentist Assistant and being a Dentist.

Because the eductaion/expenses related to aquiring a new job (as a dentist) then it is at a point too soon.

TR 98/9 example 58-62

Devotee Registered Tax Practitioner

Replies 0

@SJtax @macfanboy 

I would obtain a Private Ruling from the ATO providing all facts and circumstances.

Duncan