Announcements
Worried you’re missing part of your refund? Remember, the low and middle income tax offset isn’t a refund on its own – it’s used to offset (or reduce) the amount of tax you pay. The offset amount you may be entitled to is automatically applied and could range between $255-$1080, depending on things like your taxable income and how much tax you’ve paid.
Still not sure? Ask the Community

ATO Community

Dividend Withholding Tax

This post is archived and may not be up-to-date.

I'm new

Views 1043

Replies 1

I've recently recieved a dividend payment with a portion (47%) witheld most likely because I did not provide my TFN on time to demosntrate I'm a tax resident of Australia. How would i be able to recoup the difference between the highest marginal rate and my actual marginal tax rate? Is there something that can be done during my tax return?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Beowls,

Welcome to our Community.

If you are required to lodge an income tax return you declare your dividend income, including franked and non-franked amounts. We will then use this information to work out the total tax payable; your notice of assessment will advise if there is an amount to pay or a refund due.

If you don’t need to lodge an income tax return there are a few ways you can claim a refund for your franking credits. If you already have a myGOV account linked to us you can apply online, or over the phone .

There is additional information available on our website to assist you, including details about our automated refund of franking credits service.

I hope this helps, SueO.

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Beowls,

Welcome to our Community.

If you are required to lodge an income tax return you declare your dividend income, including franked and non-franked amounts. We will then use this information to work out the total tax payable; your notice of assessment will advise if there is an amount to pay or a refund due.

If you don’t need to lodge an income tax return there are a few ways you can claim a refund for your franking credits. If you already have a myGOV account linked to us you can apply online, or over the phone .

There is additional information available on our website to assist you, including details about our automated refund of franking credits service.

I hope this helps, SueO.