Announcements
Worried you’re missing part of your refund? Remember, the low and middle income tax offset isn’t a refund on its own – it’s used to offset (or reduce) the amount of tax you pay. The offset amount you may be entitled to is automatically applied and could range between $255-$1080, depending on things like your taxable income and how much tax you’ve paid.
Still not sure? Ask the Community

ATO Community

Do I have to file last year's return (I was overseas) to get this year's return in my account?

This post is archived and may not be up-to-date.

Initiate

Views 3862

Replies 10

I want to know if is there is requirement to get the refund only after I file the return of the last year. Yes I know I should have done it before but I did not realised that and just the though came now. 

Please let me know. 

Thank you ATO Community. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 1

Hi Ocean,

You have a lot going on so I will do my best.

If you were carrying on a business in 2013. To lodge by yourself you'll need to do it by paper.

https://www.ato.gov.au/Forms/Individual-tax-return-instructions-2013/

or see a Tax practitioner as online lodgement for business was not available in that year.

If you see a credit in account, it means your income tax return is in the final stages of processing, after the credit leaves that account it can take few days to reach you. Around that time; give several days, you'll also seen your Notice of Assessment issue.

Should the process of your income tax return take longer than a month please call us, please have your phone number up to date as we need to call you.

Please note this is my personal view; I’m an ATO employee who chooses to help out here in my own time.
10 REPLIES 10

Devotee

Replies 9

Hi there ocean                        

Under normal circumstances each financial year is treated independently.

Although you have prior years income tax returns outstanding they should not impact the outcome on currently processing returns. I myself have not seen this as a reason for holding up refunds.

Do you need some help with the outstanding one(s)?

Please note this is my personal view; I’m an ATO employee who chooses to help out here in my own time.

Initiate

Replies 2

Thank you for your reply. 

Yes I want to knwo how can I file the returns easily by myself.  Thanks a lot Smiley Happy

Devotee

Replies 1

No problem ocean

Depends,

Which income tax return years are outstanding? 

Were in business for thoes years?

Initiate

Replies 0

Sure. It was for 2012-2013. I was not in busniess but I had ABN number nd I might have some domain names under it like $24/year. 

Initiate

Replies 5

Also, I have filed the return on 14th July and have not received anything in my account ot notice of assessment. The effiective date was 21st July. 

What do I do? 

Devotee

Replies 4

Do you have a myGov account?

If so, log into the ATO and from the menu next to the little house look under  TAX> Income tax> accounts.

You will see a credit deducted from this account when your refund is sent.

Or you will see a debit amount if you have tax to pay as a result of your Notice of Assessment.

Initiate

Replies 3

Ok I have just chedked it and under accounts I see 2 things. 1. Income tax  551 with amount CR.  and 2.  Activity Statement with 0 on all fileds. 

When I click on "Income tax 551" I see amount in CR and "Your account has pending transactions that may affect the final balance."

Not sure what does that mean.

Initiate

Replies 2

@Coffee_unspilt Could you please help?

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 1

Hi Ocean,

You have a lot going on so I will do my best.

If you were carrying on a business in 2013. To lodge by yourself you'll need to do it by paper.

https://www.ato.gov.au/Forms/Individual-tax-return-instructions-2013/

or see a Tax practitioner as online lodgement for business was not available in that year.

If you see a credit in account, it means your income tax return is in the final stages of processing, after the credit leaves that account it can take few days to reach you. Around that time; give several days, you'll also seen your Notice of Assessment issue.

Should the process of your income tax return take longer than a month please call us, please have your phone number up to date as we need to call you.