ATO Community

Do I need to pay

This post is archived and may not be up-to-date.

Views 1203

Replies 3

Hello, I am an international student in Melbourne, and I did my tax for the first time a few days before.

I've only made about $4,000+ and $1200+ of that was taxed.

I log onto the ATO website to see how my tax return is going, and I see a payment in my balance for me to pay. 

It shows in my accoynts summary, saying: Account- income tax 001 Description : Australian withholding tax on interest earned as a non-resident Balance : 1302 DR

I do not understand why do I owe the ATO that much money and all I am trying to do is to get my tax refund. 

I am confused about this payment, and I am wondering do I have to pay for this. Does this happen because I filled in wrong information when I did my tax return? 

Looking forward to your reply. 

Thanks!

Thanks. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @siyao

Firstly welcome to our community we always like to see a first post.

@macfanboy has asked some good questions for you. As a student you need to check carefully you have answered the residency question correctly. Tax has its own definition with residency so you need to check if you answered the residency question correctly.

(1) Review your residency .... See the link macfanboy provided.

(2) If incorrect, amend your return in myTax replacing non-resident with whatever the correct definition is  and re-submit.

Your Notice of    Assessment will be recalculated and re-issued accordingly. See How to request an income tax amendment

I hope this finds you a better outcome.

Kind regards

MarkA

3 REPLIES 3

Taxicorn

Replies 2

Sounds like you did make a mistake

Are you over here for more than 6 months?

If so, then you would be considered to be an Australian resident for tax purposes and if you only earned $4,000 (including bank interest) then you shouldn't have to pay any tax and will get back all of that money.

Check yo see if you are an Australian resident for tax purposes and check if you indicated that on your tax return

Replies 0

Hi, Macfanboy, 

Thanks for your reply, I am here over six months as a international student, and now it's my 12th months living and studying in Melbourne. 

If I made a mistake which causes this payment, how do I know which part I did wrong and how I can fix this. 

Where I can visit or call to figure this out with more details? 

Do you have any suggestions?

Best, 

Siyao.

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @siyao

Firstly welcome to our community we always like to see a first post.

@macfanboy has asked some good questions for you. As a student you need to check carefully you have answered the residency question correctly. Tax has its own definition with residency so you need to check if you answered the residency question correctly.

(1) Review your residency .... See the link macfanboy provided.

(2) If incorrect, amend your return in myTax replacing non-resident with whatever the correct definition is  and re-submit.

Your Notice of    Assessment will be recalculated and re-issued accordingly. See How to request an income tax amendment

I hope this finds you a better outcome.

Kind regards

MarkA