Announcements
The JobKeeper Payment scheme finished on 28 March 2021. Find out what this means for your business.

ATO Community

Downsizing contributions into super

This post is archived and may not be up-to-date.

Views 1215

Replies 2

Hi - can I still make use of the downsizer contribution if I meet all the criteria but don't currently have super in Australia? Will a super fund let me open an account to do this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @SeanCh,

Thanks for posting.

You need to make sure you meet all the eligibility criteria to make a downsizer contribution. While having an open super account isn’t part of the eligibility criteria, you’ll need to set up a super account in order to make the contribution.

You’d need to have a chat to the super fund/s you’re considering opening an account with as the super funds may have rules about who can open an account.  You should also check with them that they’ll accept a downsizer contribution.

It’s also worth asking the super fund about any fees and charges you may incur in opening, maintaining and/or closing the account.

Thanks, NicM.

2 REPLIES 2

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @SeanCh,

Thanks for posting.

You need to make sure you meet all the eligibility criteria to make a downsizer contribution. While having an open super account isn’t part of the eligibility criteria, you’ll need to set up a super account in order to make the contribution.

You’d need to have a chat to the super fund/s you’re considering opening an account with as the super funds may have rules about who can open an account.  You should also check with them that they’ll accept a downsizer contribution.

It’s also worth asking the super fund about any fees and charges you may incur in opening, maintaining and/or closing the account.

Thanks, NicM.

Replies 0

Thanks NicM! Yes I've done a check and all the eligibility criteria apply. Next I'll speak with a couple of super funds about getting an account set up.

Thanks again