ATO Community

Expat returning to Australia temporarily

This post is archived and may not be up-to-date.

I'm new

Views 907

Replies 3

Hi there! I moved overseas and have been living and working there for 8 years now. I notified the ATO and bank etc of my status and had no problems there.
In December, I intend to return to live in Australia for 3-4 months — perhaps even longer — to care for my ageing grandmother. Given that I could be in Australia for an extended period of time and without much savings, I am considering my options for a source of income — be it a carers allowance from Centrelink, a casual job, or both.

What I’d like to know is:

1) What can I do now to get the ball rolling before I move back temporarily in December?

2) What do I declare my tax status in Australia as? I am an Australian citizen, born and raised in Australia.

3) Any other useful information would be great.

Thanks in advance.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Community Moderator

Replies 2

Hi @Emily333,

Welcome to our Community!

1. In terms of getting set up on Centrelink you will most likely need to discuss this with the Department of Human Services you can probably have a look at the criteria for the carer's payment on their website

2. We have a tool that helps you work out your residency for tax purposes

3. We have some information on income you need to declare and deductions you can claim if you end up working when you get back

When you're back, if you have any other questions just post them on here and we'll happily help out!

Thanks, NateH

3 REPLIES 3

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Community Moderator

Replies 2

Hi @Emily333,

Welcome to our Community!

1. In terms of getting set up on Centrelink you will most likely need to discuss this with the Department of Human Services you can probably have a look at the criteria for the carer's payment on their website

2. We have a tool that helps you work out your residency for tax purposes

3. We have some information on income you need to declare and deductions you can claim if you end up working when you get back

When you're back, if you have any other questions just post them on here and we'll happily help out!

Thanks, NateH

Replies 1

Im an Oz citizen who returned to Australia for a 3 month period (Feb-May) after an absence of 5 years. 

According to the calculator I am a foriegn resident for tax purposes. But am I entitled to claim part year tax residency status for this period, whilst filing as a foriegn resident?

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @ilyang

It appears from what you said you took up residency then left Australia again. If this is the case then myTax allows you to indicate this at the residency question. It would allow for a partial application of the tax free threshold as the outcome. However use the residency calculator in the above posts to determine how this applies to you. You will need to self access.