Announcements
We understand 2020 has been difficult and we're here to try and make it easier during tax time. Search posts, read articles or ask a question.

ATO Community

FHSSS residency requirement

This post is archived and may not be up-to-date.

Highlighted

Views 1511

Replies 1

Hi there,
I have a question regarding eligibility for first home super saver scheme. I am a New Zealand citizen and my husband is staying in Australia with a 5-year temporary visa (as partner of a New Zealander). We would like to save for our first home in Australia, and were wondering if non-Australian permanent resident and non-Australian citizen can apply for the FHSSS.
Say, can a New Zealand citizen get FHSSS? Can a temporary visa holder like my hisband get FHSSS?
Thank you,
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Devotee

Replies 0

Hi @Gooso

There is no requirement for you to be an Australian citizen, Australian resident or an Australian resident for taxation purposes. If you hold an Australian permanent resident visa, you may still use the FHSS scheme if you meet the eligibility requirements.

However, if you are not an Australian resident for tax purposes you will pay any income tax on the assessable income from the FHSS scheme at the non-resident tax rate.

You should also check whether there are any other limitations to you purchasing residential property, new or established, in Australia.

The information above is copied from this page on the ATO website:

Guidance note GN 2018/1 First home super saver scheme

You can start making super contributions from any age, but you can't request a release of amounts under the FHSS scheme until you are 18 years old.

Also, you must have:

• never owned property in Australia – this includes an investment property, vacant land, commercial property, a lease of land in Australia, or a company title interest in land in Australia (unless the Commissioner of Taxation determines that you have suffered a financial hardship)
  • not previously requested the Commissioner to issue a FHSS release authority in relation to the scheme.

Eligibility is assessed on an individual basis. This means that couples, siblings or friends can each access their own eligible FHSS contributions to purchase the same property. If any of you have previously owned a home, it will not stop anyone else who is eligible from applying.

You can find out more about the FHSS scheme and eligbility requirements on this page on the ATO website:

First home super saver scheme

JF

This is my personal view; I’m an ATO employee who chooses to help out here in my own time.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Devotee

Replies 0

Hi @Gooso

There is no requirement for you to be an Australian citizen, Australian resident or an Australian resident for taxation purposes. If you hold an Australian permanent resident visa, you may still use the FHSS scheme if you meet the eligibility requirements.

However, if you are not an Australian resident for tax purposes you will pay any income tax on the assessable income from the FHSS scheme at the non-resident tax rate.

You should also check whether there are any other limitations to you purchasing residential property, new or established, in Australia.

The information above is copied from this page on the ATO website:

Guidance note GN 2018/1 First home super saver scheme

You can start making super contributions from any age, but you can't request a release of amounts under the FHSS scheme until you are 18 years old.

Also, you must have:

• never owned property in Australia – this includes an investment property, vacant land, commercial property, a lease of land in Australia, or a company title interest in land in Australia (unless the Commissioner of Taxation determines that you have suffered a financial hardship)
  • not previously requested the Commissioner to issue a FHSS release authority in relation to the scheme.

Eligibility is assessed on an individual basis. This means that couples, siblings or friends can each access their own eligible FHSS contributions to purchase the same property. If any of you have previously owned a home, it will not stop anyone else who is eligible from applying.

You can find out more about the FHSS scheme and eligbility requirements on this page on the ATO website:

First home super saver scheme

JF

This is my personal view; I’m an ATO employee who chooses to help out here in my own time.