Announcements
Worried you’re missing part of your refund? Remember, the low and middle income tax offset isn’t a refund on its own – it’s used to offset (or reduce) the amount of tax you pay. The offset amount you may be entitled to is automatically applied and could range between $255-$1080, depending on things like your taxable income and how much tax you’ve paid.
Still not sure? Ask the Community

ATO Community

Financial hardship

This post is archived and may not be up-to-date.

I'm new

Views 892

Replies 1

Hi
I was wondering if someone could help clarify a couple questions, i am expecting a refund and its saying balancing accounts but i also received a letter from child support saying i earned higher and now have a debt inwhich they will take my refund to pay but i am experiencing severe financial hardship. My rent arrears has been lodged with the court to enforce termination and i have until a day before court date to pay up all the arrears. So the bloke at child support told me to upload evidence to show that i am so i have done so via my child support account on mygov. Now my questions is, do i need to contact the ato also or is letting child suppprt know and providing the evidence i provided all i need to do?
Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Community Moderator

Replies 0

Hi @Bfu,

Thanks for your query.

You have done the right thing contacting child support. As the debt is with them they are in control of what happens to it.

Its probably worth asking them if they can stop the money being taken out of your refund or will they be doing some thing separately if they can do anything.

Thanks

KylieS

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

Community Moderator

Replies 0

Hi @Bfu,

Thanks for your query.

You have done the right thing contacting child support. As the debt is with them they are in control of what happens to it.

Its probably worth asking them if they can stop the money being taken out of your refund or will they be doing some thing separately if they can do anything.

Thanks

KylieS