Announcements
Are you a tax professional needing a bit more time to lodge? Check out how to apply online for a deferral, or ask the Community!

ATO Community

HECS Extra Repayments

This post is archived and may not be up-to-date.

Views 1092

Replies 1

Hi

I am currently completeing my tax return and calculating a refund, however I would like to put that toward my HECS debt. Is it possible to increase the amount paid via my tax return? Or can you only do the amount calculated based on your wage?

There is a spot for adjustments, if I just put the extra amount I would like to pay in there will that work?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @wilson2880,

Welcome to our Community!

When your income tax return has finalised, any overpayment of tax you're entitled to will be refunded to you. You can then choose to make a voluntary repayment towards your HECS loan via BPAY or credit card payment - there is no spot for an adjustment within your tax return.

You can find information on how to make a voluntary repayment on our website, or if you have further questions you can phone us on 13 28 61 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday to speak with an operator.

Thanks, JodieH.

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @wilson2880,

Welcome to our Community!

When your income tax return has finalised, any overpayment of tax you're entitled to will be refunded to you. You can then choose to make a voluntary repayment towards your HECS loan via BPAY or credit card payment - there is no spot for an adjustment within your tax return.

You can find information on how to make a voluntary repayment on our website, or if you have further questions you can phone us on 13 28 61 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday to speak with an operator.

Thanks, JodieH.