Announcements
Halloween costumes are spooky but your tax return doesn't have to be. Don't forget to lodge this weekend!

ATO Community

Re: HECS-HELP Small remaining balance

This post is archived and may not be up-to-date.

Highlighted

Views 1013

Replies 1

Hello, at the end of this financial year I should have paid back all but around $1000 of my help/hecs debt.

As my employer takes around $2500 per year, is there a way for them to stop taking HECS/HELP mid financial year once I am sure they've taken enough to cover that last $1000, or do I have to wait until I submit my next tax return?

The extra pay per fortnight would be handy, rather than waiting 6-8 further months and getting a larger tax return.

Thanks

Ben

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Devotee

Replies 0

Hi @BenTracey

You simply need to complete a withholding declaration form and give it to your employer, This form allows you to change information you previously provided in your original TFN declaration.

The Withholding declaration (PDF, 243KB)This link will download a file form (NAT 3093) is a fillable PDF that can be completed online, saved and printed. You will need to select each field to complete. If you prefer to complete by hand, print a blank copy of the form.

Please see, https://www.ato.gov.au/forms/withholding-declaration/

Regards, Tracey

Please note this is my personal view; I’m an ATO employee who chooses to help out here in my own time
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Devotee

Replies 0

Hi @BenTracey

You simply need to complete a withholding declaration form and give it to your employer, This form allows you to change information you previously provided in your original TFN declaration.

The Withholding declaration (PDF, 243KB)This link will download a file form (NAT 3093) is a fillable PDF that can be completed online, saved and printed. You will need to select each field to complete. If you prefer to complete by hand, print a blank copy of the form.

Please see, https://www.ato.gov.au/forms/withholding-declaration/

Regards, Tracey

Please note this is my personal view; I’m an ATO employee who chooses to help out here in my own time