Announcements
On 21 July the government announced proposed changes to the JobKeeper program. These changes don’t affect Jobkeeper payments until after 28 September 2020.

ATO Community

Home Office Expenses

This post is archived and may not be up-to-date.

Highlighted

Views 921

Replies 1

I am renting at the moment & I am on PAYG(salaried) working from home only. 

I have a letter from my office which says that my home will be my office.

can i claim my rent as home office expenses as part of Occupany expenses.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @deeptarunsingh,

Welcome to our Community - we can see you've asked similar questions about claiming home office expenses, so we've tried to answer both scenarios here in the one post.

Generally speaking, if you're working as an employee and receiving a salary, you can't claim a deduction for occupancy expenses, including rent, mortgage interest, council rates and house insurance premiums. However, if you're working in a specific industry or occupation (such as IT professionals) you may be able to claim certain home occupancy expenses. You can find information on Deductions for specific industries and occupations on our website.

There are a number of deductions you can claim when it comes to home office expenses, such as mobile phone, computer or laptop or other electronic devices and running costs.

If you're working under an ABN as a sole trader and your home is also your place of business, you can claim tax deductions for a portion of the costs of owning, maintaining and using your home for this purpose. If you operate a business at or from your home, you may be able to claim a deduction for some of the expenses relating to the area you use for business purposes.

These expenses can be divided into two broad categories:

• occupancy expenses (such as mortgage interest or rent, council rates, land taxes, house insurance premiums)
  • running expenses (such as gas and electricity, phone, decline in value of plant and equipment, decline in value and cost of repairs to furniture and furnishings, cleaning)

If you have further questions you can phone us on 13 28 61, between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday to speak with an operator. Alternatively, if you would like specific information relating to your circumstances you can contact our Early engagement team by submitting a request form or requesting a call back where someone will contact you do discuss your circumstance.

Hope this helps.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @deeptarunsingh,

Welcome to our Community - we can see you've asked similar questions about claiming home office expenses, so we've tried to answer both scenarios here in the one post.

Generally speaking, if you're working as an employee and receiving a salary, you can't claim a deduction for occupancy expenses, including rent, mortgage interest, council rates and house insurance premiums. However, if you're working in a specific industry or occupation (such as IT professionals) you may be able to claim certain home occupancy expenses. You can find information on Deductions for specific industries and occupations on our website.

There are a number of deductions you can claim when it comes to home office expenses, such as mobile phone, computer or laptop or other electronic devices and running costs.

If you're working under an ABN as a sole trader and your home is also your place of business, you can claim tax deductions for a portion of the costs of owning, maintaining and using your home for this purpose. If you operate a business at or from your home, you may be able to claim a deduction for some of the expenses relating to the area you use for business purposes.

These expenses can be divided into two broad categories:

• occupancy expenses (such as mortgage interest or rent, council rates, land taxes, house insurance premiums)
  • running expenses (such as gas and electricity, phone, decline in value of plant and equipment, decline in value and cost of repairs to furniture and furnishings, cleaning)

If you have further questions you can phone us on 13 28 61, between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday to speak with an operator. Alternatively, if you would like specific information relating to your circumstances you can contact our Early engagement team by submitting a request form or requesting a call back where someone will contact you do discuss your circumstance.

Hope this helps.