Announcements
The JobKeeper Payment scheme finished on 28 March 2021. Find out what this means for your business.

ATO Community

Re: I haven't lodged my FY18 Tax Return. Can I still lodge (with an accountant)? Is there a penalty?

This post is archived and may not be up-to-date.

Views 1267

Replies 2

Hi all,

As the title asks - I haven't lodged my FY18 tax return.

Can I still lodge this (with an accountant)? Is there a penalty? If so, when does the penalty kick in and how much is it?

I'm thinking I might lodge both my FY18 and FY19 combined if I'm able to do so without a penalty.

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Brad1549,

Welcome to our Community!

Any tax return or statement that's lodged by the due date needs to be lodged as soon as possible to avoid a failure to lodge on time penalty. These are accessed on a case by case basis and one the return is lodged you may be able to request remission of the penalty (if it's applied). You'll be notified of any penalty that is applied to your account by letter.

You or a tax accountant can still lodge your 2018 overdue tax return. You can lodge online if you have a myGov account linked to ATO online services.

If you wish to have a tax agent lodge your 2018 and 2019 return together, contact the tax agent for advice.

Thanks, JodieH.

2 REPLIES 2

Enthusiast

Replies 0

It's past the lodgement deadline even for accountants.

But even then you might not get a penalty, if your tax return is refundable getting a penalty is very unlikely.

From memory, the penalty for late lodgement is roughly 900 bucks.

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Brad1549,

Welcome to our Community!

Any tax return or statement that's lodged by the due date needs to be lodged as soon as possible to avoid a failure to lodge on time penalty. These are accessed on a case by case basis and one the return is lodged you may be able to request remission of the penalty (if it's applied). You'll be notified of any penalty that is applied to your account by letter.

You or a tax accountant can still lodge your 2018 overdue tax return. You can lodge online if you have a myGov account linked to ATO online services.

If you wish to have a tax agent lodge your 2018 and 2019 return together, contact the tax agent for advice.

Thanks, JodieH.