Announcements
Worried you’re missing part of your refund? Remember, the low and middle income tax offset isn’t a refund on its own – it’s used to offset (or reduce) the amount of tax you pay. The offset amount you may be entitled to is automatically applied and could range between $255-$1080, depending on things like your taxable income and how much tax you’ve paid.
Still not sure? Ask the Community

ATO Community

If a spouse claims tax offset for super contrib, will a government co-contribution still be paid

This post is archived and may not be up-to-date.

I'm new

Views 1044

Replies 1

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 0

Hi Shortofbreath

No, but it's not related to whether a spouse claims a tax offset or not. It's related to how the fund reports the contribution to the ATO.

If the contribution is made by the person whose account it is the contribution will be reported by the fund as a personal contribution to the ATO. A co-contribution will be paid on a personal contribution where the person meets the eligibility requirements.

If the contribution is made by the spouse of the account holder the fund will report it as a spouse contribution. The spouse will then be able to claim the tax offset for the amount, but no co-contribution will be payable. It's irrelevant whether the spouse does or doesn't claim the tax offset in the income tax return.

I'm an ATO employee voluntarily providing my time here

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

Devotee

Replies 0

Hi Shortofbreath

No, but it's not related to whether a spouse claims a tax offset or not. It's related to how the fund reports the contribution to the ATO.

If the contribution is made by the person whose account it is the contribution will be reported by the fund as a personal contribution to the ATO. A co-contribution will be paid on a personal contribution where the person meets the eligibility requirements.

If the contribution is made by the spouse of the account holder the fund will report it as a spouse contribution. The spouse will then be able to claim the tax offset for the amount, but no co-contribution will be payable. It's irrelevant whether the spouse does or doesn't claim the tax offset in the income tax return.

I'm an ATO employee voluntarily providing my time here