Announcements
We’re in read-only mode while we do some scheduled maintenance to bring you a bigger, better and brighter online community.
You can still search the site to find answers or take a look at our current top 10 questions.

ATO Community

International accreditation expenses

This post is archived and may not be up-to-date.

I'm new

Views 767

Replies 1

Dear Community,

I work in a professional field and have moved overseas from July 2019, to work for one year in Canada as a career-building step. In order to work in Canada, I needed to pay multiple large fees to Canadian bodies for accreditation purposes (verification of my qualifications etc). My question is, are these fees deductible on my Australian tax return, given they were paid during the Australian tax year? Or should they be claimed on my Canadian tax return, given they were related to income earned in Canada?

Many thanks for any advice you can provide!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @metronomy03

Thanks for your first post and in joining our community.

Are you an Australian resident for tax purposes? See Work out your tax residency. If no then Australian income only will need to be declared. A return not necessary even perhaps. If yes then world wide income is declared. A foreign income tax offset may be applicable in that event.

As for deductions related as an employee in Australia  D4 Work-related self-education expenses. may have application.  However based on your limited descriptions it's unlikely to apply but worth looking at further if you are remaining with the same employer in Canada.

Any Canadian tax questions as you rightly discerned are best directed to them.

Thanks for your queries. I hope the links are helpful and enjoy your time in Canada.

Kind Regards
MarkA

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @metronomy03

Thanks for your first post and in joining our community.

Are you an Australian resident for tax purposes? See Work out your tax residency. If no then Australian income only will need to be declared. A return not necessary even perhaps. If yes then world wide income is declared. A foreign income tax offset may be applicable in that event.

As for deductions related as an employee in Australia  D4 Work-related self-education expenses. may have application.  However based on your limited descriptions it's unlikely to apply but worth looking at further if you are remaining with the same employer in Canada.

Any Canadian tax questions as you rightly discerned are best directed to them.

Thanks for your queries. I hope the links are helpful and enjoy your time in Canada.

Kind Regards
MarkA