Announcements
We understand 2020 has been difficult and we're here to try and make it easier during tax time. Search posts, read articles or ask a question.

ATO Community

Invoice to overseas

This post is archived and may not be up-to-date.

Highlighted

Views 2606

Replies 2

Hello,

I'm a freelance programmer/web developer with ABN, not registerd for GTS  and have a client overseas(EU). 

Can I give them standard invoice? Or the invoice should include something special on it? 

PS: I'm not an Australian citizen

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Anonymous

Replies 0

Hi @bogdan 

You can give your clients a "standard invoice", as you are NOT registerd for GST .. ATO link - Setting-up-your-invoices

The ATO website clearly states:

If you're registered for GST, your invoices should be called 'tax invoice'.

If you're not registered for GST, your invoices should not include the words 'tax invoice' – you must issue normal invoices.

DO NOT issue a "tax invoice", as you are not permitted to do so.

Whether you are an Australian Citizen or not does not have any bearing on the issueing of invoices.

The information provided by @Tracey74 does not apply to you as you are not registerd for GST!

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Devotee

Replies 0

Hi @bogdan

The requirements for invoicing can be found on the ATO website.

Tax invoices must include at least seven pieces of information. There are additional requirements for invoices for:

Requirements of tax invoices

Tax invoices for taxable sales of less than $1,000 must include enough information to clearly determine the following seven details:

1. that the document is intended to be a tax invoice
  2. the seller's identity
  3. the seller's Australian business number (ABN)
  4. the date the invoice was issued
  5. a brief description of the items sold, including the quantity (if applicable) and the price
  6. the GST amount (if any) payable – this can be shown separately or, if the GST amount is exactly one-eleventh of the total price, as a statement such as 'Total price includes GST'
  7. the extent to which each sale on the invoice is a taxable sale (that is, the extent to which each sale includes GST)

https://www.ato.gov.au/Business/GST/Issuing-tax-invoices/

Please note this is my personal view; I’m an ATO employee who chooses to help out here in my own time
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Anonymous

Replies 0

Hi @bogdan 

You can give your clients a "standard invoice", as you are NOT registerd for GST .. ATO link - Setting-up-your-invoices

The ATO website clearly states:

If you're registered for GST, your invoices should be called 'tax invoice'.

If you're not registered for GST, your invoices should not include the words 'tax invoice' – you must issue normal invoices.

DO NOT issue a "tax invoice", as you are not permitted to do so.

Whether you are an Australian Citizen or not does not have any bearing on the issueing of invoices.

The information provided by @Tracey74 does not apply to you as you are not registerd for GST!