Announcements
What's the right super fund for you? Although super may not be on the top of your list now, keeping track of your super can help maximise your savings for when you retire. Try out the new YourSuper comparison tool and choose a super fund that meets your needs. Still got questions about super? Ask the Community

ATO Community

Left Australia but may come back - super options

This post is archived and may not be up-to-date.

I'm new

Views 746

Replies 1

Hi,

I left Australia a few months ago (worked here on a 457 for over 2 years) and I was wondering about the options that I have for my super. Do I need to claim it? Could I leave it in Australia? What happens to the super in an ATO account?

I may end up in New Zealand in the long run, therefore I wonder if it would be better for me to leave the super and eventually move it over to a NZ super?

Another side question: I entered Australia initially on a WHV, but never earned money on it. Does that mean that my earned super will be taxed 35% or does holding the WHV already make me a victim of the 65% tax?

Thanks,
Micha

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @micha,

Welcome to our Community!

If you were in Australia as a temporary resident and had superannuation paid on your behalf, you may be eligible to claim your super back as a Departing Australia Superannuation Payment (DASP). You can find information on claiming your DASP in our knowledge article:

Your super fund will determine the necessary rate of tax to withhold from your DASP based on your contributions. If no super contributions were made on your behalf under a WHM visa the DASP WHM tax rate should not apply. However, it's best to check this directly with your fund and when your super contributions were made.

We may hold your super for you as ATO-held super if your super fund transfers your super to us. Your fund may do this when:

• you are a temporary resident who has left Australia for 6 months or more
  • your visa is no longer in effect
  • have not claimed your Departing Australia superannuation payment (DASP).

You can apply to have ATO-held super released once a condition of release if meet.

If you're a New Zealand citizen and have super in Australia, you may be able to transfer your super to New Zealand under the Trans-Tasman retirement savings portability scheme for individuals.

Hope this helps, JodieH.

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @micha,

Welcome to our Community!

If you were in Australia as a temporary resident and had superannuation paid on your behalf, you may be eligible to claim your super back as a Departing Australia Superannuation Payment (DASP). You can find information on claiming your DASP in our knowledge article:

Your super fund will determine the necessary rate of tax to withhold from your DASP based on your contributions. If no super contributions were made on your behalf under a WHM visa the DASP WHM tax rate should not apply. However, it's best to check this directly with your fund and when your super contributions were made.

We may hold your super for you as ATO-held super if your super fund transfers your super to us. Your fund may do this when:

• you are a temporary resident who has left Australia for 6 months or more
  • your visa is no longer in effect
  • have not claimed your Departing Australia superannuation payment (DASP).

You can apply to have ATO-held super released once a condition of release if meet.

If you're a New Zealand citizen and have super in Australia, you may be able to transfer your super to New Zealand under the Trans-Tasman retirement savings portability scheme for individuals.

Hope this helps, JodieH.