ATO Community

Living abroad

This post is archived and may not be up-to-date.

Views 1158

Replies 3

I have been living in Canada for 13 years now and I am looking to move back to Australia for a yr coming 2021, how does this effect my taxes in astralia etc when I arrive for the year i arrive?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Former Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @LaineyLohnes,

Welcome to our Community!

As we provide general information here on our Community, we can't provide a definite answer as we don't kwon all the details about your situation and can't advise how it will affect you in 3 years' time.

However, generally speaking, it will depend on your residency status and whether you're receiving any Australian sourced income.

If you're a non-resident for tax purposes your generally only tax on Australian sourced income you receive, which you will be required to report in an Australian tax return. You can find more information about coming to Australia on our website.

Thanks, JodieH.

3 REPLIES 3

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Former Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @LaineyLohnes,

Welcome to our Community!

As we provide general information here on our Community, we can't provide a definite answer as we don't kwon all the details about your situation and can't advise how it will affect you in 3 years' time.

However, generally speaking, it will depend on your residency status and whether you're receiving any Australian sourced income.

If you're a non-resident for tax purposes your generally only tax on Australian sourced income you receive, which you will be required to report in an Australian tax return. You can find more information about coming to Australia on our website.

Thanks, JodieH.

Replies 1

Thank you Jodi,

I am a citizen, not living in australia, and with no income from other countries apart from Canada 

Elaine

Community Moderator

Replies 0

Hi @LaineyLohnes,

You will need to work out your residency status using our residency tool as this affects how you are taxed.

If you are an Australian resident for tax purposes you may be able to claim the foreign income tax offset which reduces the Australian tax on any income earned while you were overseas.

As Jodie mentioned, if you are a non-resident for tax purposes you'd only be taxed on any income sourced in Australia which you'd have to declare in your Australian tax return (e.g. if you got a job back in Australia).

Hope this helps! Thanks, Nate