ATO Community

Lost super ex permanent resident

This post is archived and may not be up-to-date.

Views 1081

Replies 1

Hi, I lived and worked in Australia from 2001 - 2005 as a permanent resident and paid into a super fund throughout that time.

I left Australia in 2005 and have never been back thus my residency visa expired.  I made contact with the ATO a few months ago enquiring about my super and received an email from them recently advising that my super is now being held with them.  I was told I can either transfer the money to another super fund (I assume this means my UK pension fund) or have the money paid direclty to myself.  I think I would prefer to have it paid to myself.  It looks like I am eligable for this (it has been more than 10 years since it has been paid into).  The problem is I can't seem to link into the ATO with an account with my tax file number to check this.  I can apply with a paper application but I'm wondering if I need to send in any supporting documents and what these would be?  

I have divorced and remarried since leaving Australia and therefore my name has changed a couple of times since to further complicate matters!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Jolly1974,  

Thanks for getting in touch! You're right - we need more information about your situation to work out you can claim your super back.

The type of account we're holding your super in can affect how you apply for it to be refunded, so until you have that information we can't advise your next steps.  

If you have your tax file number and can remember information you provided us when you were in Australia, we may be able to verify your identity over the phone and discuss your account details with you. You can phone or Skype us from overseas on +61 2 6216 1111 between 8:00am and 6:00pm Monday to Friday  - let the operator know you're overseas and they can arrange for someone to call you back.  

If we can verify your identity over the phone, we may be able to provide you a linking code to access your account using our online services. You'll be able to change certain details - like your address - online, but for other changes (like your name), you'll need to send us certified copies of official documents and a completed change of details for individuals form. Please note it can take up to 28 days after we receive your form to update your records.  

Thanks

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Jolly1974,  

Thanks for getting in touch! You're right - we need more information about your situation to work out you can claim your super back.

The type of account we're holding your super in can affect how you apply for it to be refunded, so until you have that information we can't advise your next steps.  

If you have your tax file number and can remember information you provided us when you were in Australia, we may be able to verify your identity over the phone and discuss your account details with you. You can phone or Skype us from overseas on +61 2 6216 1111 between 8:00am and 6:00pm Monday to Friday  - let the operator know you're overseas and they can arrange for someone to call you back.  

If we can verify your identity over the phone, we may be able to provide you a linking code to access your account using our online services. You'll be able to change certain details - like your address - online, but for other changes (like your name), you'll need to send us certified copies of official documents and a completed change of details for individuals form. Please note it can take up to 28 days after we receive your form to update your records.  

Thanks