ATO Community

Re: Medicare levy surcharge

This post is archived and may not be up-to-date.

I'm new

Views 972

Replies 3

Hi,
My husband and I keep getting tax debts and we think it's to do with the Medicare levy question, so please help us answer it.

We do not have private health insurance
We are both over 31 (32 and 36yrs).

Please help we are very confused
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Former Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @Confused2

Welcome to our Community!

If you're Australian resident for tax purposes, you'll most like be required to pay the Medicare levy which is 2% of your taxable income unless you meet an exemption criteria or you're a low income earner

As you don't have private health insurance and you're both over the age of 30, you may be subject to the Medicare levy surcharge (MLS) if you're family taxable income (you and your spouse) is above the MLS income threshold

There could be a number of reasons why you've owed tax and your Notice of assessment (NOA) may help to work it out. If you're still unsure, you can phone us to speak with an operator who can provide an explanation of your NOA and why you have a debt. 

Thanks, JodieH. 

3 REPLIES 3

Taxicorn

Replies 0

Gladly help if you let me know the following:

(1) You & Your Partners income for medicare levy surcharge purposes (Taxable income + Reportable Fringe Benefits + Total Rental/Investment Loss + Reportable Superannuation Contributions (including any that you are claiming a tax deduction for).

(2) How many dependent children you have.

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Former Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @Confused2

Welcome to our Community!

If you're Australian resident for tax purposes, you'll most like be required to pay the Medicare levy which is 2% of your taxable income unless you meet an exemption criteria or you're a low income earner

As you don't have private health insurance and you're both over the age of 30, you may be subject to the Medicare levy surcharge (MLS) if you're family taxable income (you and your spouse) is above the MLS income threshold

There could be a number of reasons why you've owed tax and your Notice of assessment (NOA) may help to work it out. If you're still unsure, you can phone us to speak with an operator who can provide an explanation of your NOA and why you have a debt. 

Thanks, JodieH. 

Taxicorn

Replies 0

@JodieH 

Medicare Levy Surcharge has nothing to do with being over 30, additional loading (premium) on the policy does.