Announcements
Curious about the JobMaker Hiring Credit? Have a read about who is eligible and how to register.

ATO Community

Mobile Phone (device) tax Question

This post is archived and may not be up-to-date.

Views 1133

Replies 3

Hi everyone, just putting in my tax, I bought a new phone at about $850 (with tax), I placed this as an "Other Work related expense" using the depreciation tool. For the cost section I only put in 20% of that (about $113) as I only use about 20% for work (rest is for personal use).

I also added in my mobile plan which as well is about 20% of my $30 a month plan, which is worked out at $30x20%x12months (about $72)

Just wanted to make sure that this was accurate, I'm pretty new to this but I got the information from:

https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Income-and-deductions/Deductions-you-can-claim/Other-work-related...

Which tells me the explanation for multiplication (which is what I used) but the device itself is difficult for me as the text has only:

If you bought a smartphone, tablet or other electronic device and you use it for work you can claim a deduction for a percentage of its cost.

But without explanation exactly how so wanted to make sure I did it correctly.

Thanks so much!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Taxicorn

Replies 2

@calvin_evird 

Yes, everything looks ok except possibly the deduction for mobile phone use:

$30pm x12 / 52 weeks x number of weeks worked x 20%

Because you don't use your mobile for work when you are on leave.

You can leave the cost the same.

3 REPLIES 3

Most helpful response

Taxicorn

Replies 2

@calvin_evird 

Yes, everything looks ok except possibly the deduction for mobile phone use:

$30pm x12 / 52 weeks x number of weeks worked x 20%

Because you don't use your mobile for work when you are on leave.

You can leave the cost the same.

Replies 1

Thanks so much mate, really appreciate it! I just fixed it up now.

Taxicorn

Replies 0

@calvin_evird 

No problems, the majority of people wouldn't do this, but technically it is correct and is what I do for all my clients.