Announcements
We’re doing scheduled maintenance on ATO Community to bring you a bigger, better and brighter online community.
You may see us go into read-only mode over the weekend while we do this. Don’t worry! You’ll still be able to search the site to find your answers.

ATO Community

Re: Multiple TFN applications

This post is archived and may not be up-to-date.

Initiate

Views 1380

Replies 3

I'm permanent resident in Australia. I made two applications for TFN by mistake and received two reference numbers. Please advise how to withdraw or delete one of them. 

Regards,

a first-time TFN applicant

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Former Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @roy1,

Welcome to our Community!

When processing your TFN applications, in most cases it will be picked up as a duplicate. Generally, when there is a duplicate application it will be checked and corrected and we may attempt to contact you to confirm some information.

We will only issue one tax file number, and it can take up to 28 days to process. If you don't hear from us within 28 days, you can contact us to check on the progress. When you call, make sure you have both reference numbers ready.

We will ask you additional privacy questions before we can access your account, having a document with you such as a passport will help you during that process.

I hope this helps!

Thanks,

@BrookeT

3 REPLIES 3

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Former Community Support

Replies 2

Hi @roy1,

Welcome to our Community!

When processing your TFN applications, in most cases it will be picked up as a duplicate. Generally, when there is a duplicate application it will be checked and corrected and we may attempt to contact you to confirm some information.

We will only issue one tax file number, and it can take up to 28 days to process. If you don't hear from us within 28 days, you can contact us to check on the progress. When you call, make sure you have both reference numbers ready.

We will ask you additional privacy questions before we can access your account, having a document with you such as a passport will help you during that process.

I hope this helps!

Thanks,

@BrookeT

Initiate

Replies 0

Hi @BrookeT 

That's right, it makes sense not to issue two TFNs for the same identity. 

Your response clarifies my query very well. Thank you very much!

Regards, Roy.

Initiate

Replies 0

Hi @BrookeT 

I would like to confirm to anyone reading the post that i received two letters from the ATO with the same TFN number. So, as @BrookeT mentioned, the ATO identifies duplicate identities and allocates a unique TFN number.

Cheers!

Regards, Roy.