Announcements
We’re doing scheduled maintenance on ATO Community to bring you a bigger, better and brighter online community.
You may see us go into read-only mode over the weekend while we do this. Don’t worry! You’ll still be able to search the site to find your answers.

ATO Community

Online Lodgement via Business Portal for Non-Residents (ie. not eligible for MyGovID)

This post is archived and may not be up-to-date.

Views 1009

Replies 5

I am a New Zealander who has been working short term contracts in Australia since 2014. Previously I have been submitting activity statements via the BP with AUSKey. This has now been discontinued however I cannot enrol for MyGovID as it requires Australian Passport, Drivers Licence etc. I tried enroling with my New Zealand Passport but it is not recognised.

Is there another method of submitting Activity Statements online or will I have to rely on my Tax Agent?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Community Manager

Replies 4

Hi @lucien,

If you’re not able to transition to myGovID straight away while we add new functionalities and resolve errors we have some others ways that you can meet your tax obligations. These include:

• phone lodgment (only applicable for businesses with a turnover less than $20million)
  • paper lodgment (only applicable for businesses with a turnover less than $20 million)
  • a registered Australian tax agent
  • cloud-based Standard Business Reporting (SBR) enabled software

Thanks, NateH

5 REPLIES 5

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Community Manager

Replies 4

Hi @lucien,

If you’re not able to transition to myGovID straight away while we add new functionalities and resolve errors we have some others ways that you can meet your tax obligations. These include:

• phone lodgment (only applicable for businesses with a turnover less than $20million)
  • paper lodgment (only applicable for businesses with a turnover less than $20 million)
  • a registered Australian tax agent
  • cloud-based Standard Business Reporting (SBR) enabled software

Thanks, NateH

I'm new

Replies 1

Hi Nate

The company I work for in NZ is having the same issue with us being unable to achieve a standard myGOVid so I can continue lodging the BAS.

I do have a TFN and expired drivers license from when I lived in Qld and expired medicare.

I have printed the NAT75249 for myself and the director of the company to do but since we are in lockdown we won't be able to get a notary public to verify our documents before the next BAS is due.

How do we go about getting paper BAS to lodge in the interim like you mention?

Thanks
Steph

Community Manager

Replies 0

Hi @stephmacgregor,

You'll need to give us a call to get that set up and get the forms sent out.

Thanks, NateH

Replies 1

Hi ATO,

I have just attempted to lodge a nil BAS over the phone but it requires an ABN and document ID. There is no document ID as I usually access these via the Business Portal which no longer accepts AusKey. Neither am I eligible for MyGovID as I hold an NZ passport/drivers licence.

Any ideas?

Thx. Lucien

ATO Certified Response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @lucien,

Thank you for contacting us. At present, only the following Australian identity documents are supported to register for myGovID and obtain a Standard identity strength :

•driver’s licence
•Medicare card
•birth certificate
•passport.

In the future , we will introduce more type of documents.

If you're a sole trader, you can lodge your activity statements online on the ATO link on your myGov.

For other entity type, you can lodge through a tax agent. If it's a NIL BAS you can lodge via our automated system however you need to phone us to obtain a document identification number (DIN) for the BAS period  that you would like to lodge as NIL. You will be required to confirm your identity when you call.

HazelC