Announcements
Worried you’re missing part of your refund? Remember, the low and middle income tax offset isn’t a refund on its own – it’s used to offset (or reduce) the amount of tax you pay. The offset amount you may be entitled to is automatically applied and could range between $255-$1080, depending on things like your taxable income and how much tax you’ve paid.
Still not sure? Ask the Community

ATO Community

Overpaying Tax while working overseas due to corona virus

This post is archived and may not be up-to-date.

Views 950

Replies 4

Hi,
Wondering if you can help.

We are in the process of moving over to australia but due to the Coronavirus our plans have been hugely disrupted so just need some advice.

I have started working for the company overseas while we are in the process of transitioning over which was meant to be short term but unfortunately, I will have to extend this until the travel ban is abolished in AUS. I'm currently getting heavily taxed due to the fact I don’t have a TFN number which I was planning to register through the online application process once I landed in Australia soon but now this won’t be possible due to the ban. I'm cornered that even if I try to apply through the paper application within the current climate it will takes months to get a temporary TFN number to start paying the correct tax amount.

My main concern and question, will I be able to claim back the overpayments I'm currently making in tax once I eventually get my TFN number and land in AUS and if not what would you advice I can do in the short term?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Community Moderator

Replies 3

Hi @dful123,

Very disappointing that your plans have had to be delayed.

You can apply for a TFN now and our normal timeframe to process your application is 28 days.

When you do your income tax return after the 30 June,  any tax that you have overpaid will be refunded to you.

KylieS

4 REPLIES 4

Most helpful response

Community Moderator

Replies 3

Hi @dful123,

Very disappointing that your plans have had to be delayed.

You can apply for a TFN now and our normal timeframe to process your application is 28 days.

When you do your income tax return after the 30 June,  any tax that you have overpaid will be refunded to you.

KylieS

Replies 2

Hi Kylie,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm currently struggling to apply for a TFN via the link you sent across.

I've updated the application form and have the required documents copied and ready to send from overseas but I cant currently get them certified by anyone in person untill the lockdown within the UK and AUS is finished. Is there any other way I can get them certified so I can get the TFN application in the post?

Thanks,

D  

Community Moderator

Replies 0

Hi @dful123,

Unfortunately we are unaware of any other way that you can do this.

Sorry we can't be more help.

KylieS

Initiate

Replies 0

Im an expat from Qatar, works remotely in Australia, I got my TFN sent via DHL to ATO. I sent them my form, 2 copies true certified from Australian Embassy. it take approximately 50days.