Announcements
What's the right super fund for you? Although super may not be on the top of your list now, keeping track of your super can help maximise your savings for when you retire. Try out the new YourSuper comparison tool and choose a super fund that meets your needs. Still got questions about super? Ask the Community

ATO Community

Overseas Secondment

This post is archived and may not be up-to-date.

Views 1490

Replies 1

Hi, 

I am an Australian resident. Currently, I am a trainee and my company requires me to have a secondment work arrangement to work in Singapore. Can I claim my accomodation, meals and travel expenses as my tax deduction when I am in Singapore? The secondment will last for 12 months and I frequently fly back between Singapore and Australia on the weekends during the seondment period. Can I claim reasonable meal and travel allowance expenses as tax deduction by using the ATO table? But it seems to limit a work travel claim for any work travel less than 28 days. Can I claim LAFHA as my tax deduction alternatively? If non of my oversea secondment expenses can be claimed as tax deduction, it will seem unfair. Because I am not required to work in Singapore if not because of my secondment work arragement. 

Thx. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Devilcnc,

Thanks for your question!

Generally speaking, to be eligible to claim work related deductions, the expense must directly relate to you earning your income, you have a record to prove it and you've spent the money yourself and haven't been reimbursed.

Your circumstances appear different to the general information available on our website, so it's recommended that you write to us and request a private ruling. Private ruling are binding advice from us on how the tax law applies to your specific situation. They are a free service and we aim to respond within 28 days from receiving your request.

Thanks, JodieH.

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Devilcnc,

Thanks for your question!

Generally speaking, to be eligible to claim work related deductions, the expense must directly relate to you earning your income, you have a record to prove it and you've spent the money yourself and haven't been reimbursed.

Your circumstances appear different to the general information available on our website, so it's recommended that you write to us and request a private ruling. Private ruling are binding advice from us on how the tax law applies to your specific situation. They are a free service and we aim to respond within 28 days from receiving your request.

Thanks, JodieH.