Announcements
We’re in read-only mode while we do some scheduled maintenance to bring you a bigger, better and brighter online community.
You can still search the site to find answers or take a look at our current top 10 questions.

ATO Community

Re: Overseas tax return

This post is archived and may not be up-to-date.

Views 898

Replies 2

Hi,

This year I started working and living in Norway in around March, before this I was travelling around outside of Australia. I worked up until the end of July in Australia before leaving my job to travel. I am now working in Norway and hence earning an income. I can't find any clear information on how the tax system between Australia and Norway works. I can fill out an Australian tax return but my income in Norway has already been taxed in Norway (flat rate of 25% for foreign workers in their first year). To make matters more confusing, the end of the tax year in Australia is June 30, in Norway it is 31 December. I have no idea where to even start. If I fill out both, surely I will be taxed in both. Then do I have to apply for credit afterwards to say I have already been taxed in Norway?

Please help...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Taxicorn

Replies 1

If you are considered an Australian Resident for tax purposes then you declare all your worldwide income and pay tax on it.

You would be able to apply a foreign-income tax offset to ensure that you are not paying any extra.

2 REPLIES 2

Most helpful response

Taxicorn

Replies 1

If you are considered an Australian Resident for tax purposes then you declare all your worldwide income and pay tax on it.

You would be able to apply a foreign-income tax offset to ensure that you are not paying any extra.

Replies 0

Thank you!