Announcements
Looking for information on the JobKeeper extension? Check out our answers to common questions the community has been asking.

ATO Community

Passing on ownership of crypto to another

This post is archived and may not be up-to-date.

Highlighted

Initiate

Views 665

Replies 1

Hi there,

I have been doing some crypto investing/trading for family members. They have given me their money and I have made accounts and bought coins under my name for them because they dont know how to do it. As I am going to be transferring it back at some stage I am trying to work out how I can legally show that its no longer owned by me. I am concerned that the ATO and AUSTRAC or whatever will see history of crypto transactions on my end and slap me with a tax bill despite no longer owning the coins myself. I am transferring the coins to various exchanges in their names and they will be declaring gains and tax themselves. But how do they formally take ownership of the assets so that I am no longer legally bound to pay tax?  Some exchanges dont have ID verification so for anyone investigating me it doesnt look like I have given back the coins and might look like I still own them.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Devotee Registered Tax Practitioner

Replies 0

I believe the onus would be on you to prove there was a declaration of trust i.e You were holding the asset on behalf of another. If you continue to do this going forward it would be advisable to setup a trust allowing you to allocate the profits to theindividual in question. Your previous activity would need to be addressed in a private ruling. I can be contacted at daniel.harrison@fpcc.com.au if you would like to discuss these matters further 

I'm not a ato employee but I am a registered tax agent who both invests and has a number of clients with cryptocurrency investments

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Devotee Registered Tax Practitioner

Replies 0

I believe the onus would be on you to prove there was a declaration of trust i.e You were holding the asset on behalf of another. If you continue to do this going forward it would be advisable to setup a trust allowing you to allocate the profits to theindividual in question. Your previous activity would need to be addressed in a private ruling. I can be contacted at daniel.harrison@fpcc.com.au if you would like to discuss these matters further 

I'm not a ato employee but I am a registered tax agent who both invests and has a number of clients with cryptocurrency investments