Announcements
On 7 August 2020 the government proposed further changes to the JobKeeper extension. For more information, visit the Treasury website.

ATO Community

Paying an overseas worker

This post is archived and may not be up-to-date.

Highlighted

I'm new

Views 430

Replies 1

Hello All,

I have a series of events that I am organising and want to get a subject matter expert from China to travel to Melbourne to speak at these events.

On what basis can I pay this person to perform the duties? I am guessing that there are both taxation and visa considerations.

Any help would be appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

HI @lukemc16

Welcome to our Community!

We can provide general information here about tax and super topics and it's ultimately a decision between the business and individual whether they are employed as an employee or contractor

As an employee they would require a TFN and you would need to withhold tax and possibly pay super on their behalf. As a contractor they would require to have an ABN and be paid an hourly rate or an agreed quoted price. Contractors are also responsible to pay their own tax. You can find more information about the basis of payment on our website. 

You can find information on the differences between employees and contractors and how to work it out including our employee or contractor decision tool on our website.

You'll need to contact the Department of Home affairs to discuss the visa options.

Thanks, JodieH. 

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Best answer

ATO Certified

Community Support

Replies 0

HI @lukemc16

Welcome to our Community!

We can provide general information here about tax and super topics and it's ultimately a decision between the business and individual whether they are employed as an employee or contractor

As an employee they would require a TFN and you would need to withhold tax and possibly pay super on their behalf. As a contractor they would require to have an ABN and be paid an hourly rate or an agreed quoted price. Contractors are also responsible to pay their own tax. You can find more information about the basis of payment on our website. 

You can find information on the differences between employees and contractors and how to work it out including our employee or contractor decision tool on our website.

You'll need to contact the Department of Home affairs to discuss the visa options.

Thanks, JodieH.