Announcements
Looking for information on the JobKeeper extension? Watch the video in our latest news article.

ATO Community

Proof of Stake Mining vs Proof of Work Mining Taxation

This post is archived and may not be up-to-date.

Highlighted

Initiate

Views 342

Replies 2

Proof of Stake and Proof of Work are both different types of "Consensus systems" that provide rewards.

One requires you to lock in captial (POS) and the other requires you to put in captial to specialized hardware and perform work. 

Both system will result in ongoing costs - eg costs to run a server ( POS ) and electricity costs for mining and depretiation of assets (POW)

The ATO recently updated their guidance on POS mining, but this new advise is inconsistent with whats provided by this crypto accounting company. (SECTION 11)  https://koinly.io/guides/crypto-tax-australia/

It is also inconsistent with previous versions of the ATO website on crypto currency taxation.

The ATO section of crypto currency had a section on mining, which stated two different  ways of treating it. 

1. mining as a hoby ( costs cannot be deducted ), where rewards are new assets with a zero cost base.
  2. mining as a buesiness ( costs and depretiation can be deducted ), rewards new asset with market value as cost base + considered income for the buesiness

This section has been removed, but a link to the forum post with an answer is refferenced in the above guide. 

My question is:

1. why is POS and POW treated differently, when they same thing essentially.
  2. Does the Hobby vs Buesiness treatement apply to Proof of Stake (POS).

In terms of compliance, treating all new rewards as a new CGT asset with a cost base of zero is a lot simpler for people just running a POS node on their PC eg doing it as a hobby.

Otherwise, people would need to keep detailed records every time they are rewarded, might happen frequently and keep records of the market price at that time. They would also need to track electricity and internet useage plus include running the POS software eg if its running on the cloud.

I feel that if POW has this treatment the same should apply to POS, outlined

https://community.ato.gov.au/t5/Cryptocurrency/Starting-to-mine-bitcoin-how-do-I-declare-it-all/td-p...

Note, i am not talking about airdrops - which are a one off event.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

Community Manager

Replies 0

Post archive as duplicate

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted

Initiate

Replies 0

sorry for the duplicate post, this was removed because i edit to often to fix some typo's so i created a new post with a different heading. Please remove this thread and keep the other one

Highlighted

Most helpful response

Community Manager

Replies 0

Post archive as duplicate