Announcements
Have you sold crypto, shares or property? Our new capital gains tax guide has info about cost bases, calculations & more! Still got questions? Ask the Community!

ATO Community

Protecting Your Super

This post is archived and may not be up-to-date.

Views 1278

Replies 5

Hello Community,

If I have multiple super funds that are listed as low balance / inactive and those accounts are held in a sperate surname to my active super account, will the Australian Tax Office transfer these low balance inactive accounts to my active superfund even though my name is different?

I look forward to your responce.

Regards

Pez Gordo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Taxicorn

Replies 4

@PezGordo 

I'm pretty sure that the Tax File Number is the most important consideration when transferring super.

5 REPLIES 5

Most helpful response

Taxicorn

Replies 4

@PezGordo 

I'm pretty sure that the Tax File Number is the most important consideration when transferring super.

Replies 0

Thank you for your responce @macfanboy I keep getting the same feedback from lots of different sources, but I am looking for a definite answer. I am also pretty sure that the TFN is most probably the drivng factor, but not deffinately sure.

@macfanboy wrote:

@PezGordo 

Community Moderator

Replies 2

Hi PezGordo,

The TFN is the main factor as advised by @macfanboy.

KylieS

Replies 1

@KylieATO wrote:

Hi PezGordo,

The TFN is the main factor as advised by @macfanboy.

KylieS

Thanks @KylieATO . So to clarify, where the TFN is the same but the name may differ (maiden / married name) will the super funds still be transferred?

Community Moderator

Replies 0

Hi @PezGordo,

The TFN is the main identifier, but it is up to the super funds if they require more information.

The ATO combine all with the TFN.

Thanks

KylieS