Announcements
Looking for information on the JobKeeper extension? Check out our answers to common questions the community has been asking.

ATO Community

Redundancy

This post is archived and may not be up-to-date.

Views 462

Replies 1

hi

I am taking redundancy, which is voluntary, I am 65, I have been informed by my pay office that I don't pay tax on this amount as it is under $200k for ETP, everything I read says it should be taxed at 17.5% , is this correct that tax is not applied in this instance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @sarahjane231153

Welcome to our Community!

There are a number of factors to consider when working out how much tax is to be withheld from a redundancy or ETP payment and we don't know all the details to be able to provide a definite answer. 

If you're receiving an ETP because of a genuine redundancy and early retirement, payments are tax free up to a limit based on the employee's years of service. The ETP cap amount for the 2018–19 income year is $205,000 and is indexed annually. 

If you have more information about your ETP payment, you can phone us on 13 28 61 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday to discuss in more detail with an operator. 

Thanks, JodieH. 

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @sarahjane231153

Welcome to our Community!

There are a number of factors to consider when working out how much tax is to be withheld from a redundancy or ETP payment and we don't know all the details to be able to provide a definite answer. 

If you're receiving an ETP because of a genuine redundancy and early retirement, payments are tax free up to a limit based on the employee's years of service. The ETP cap amount for the 2018–19 income year is $205,000 and is indexed annually. 

If you have more information about your ETP payment, you can phone us on 13 28 61 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday to discuss in more detail with an operator. 

Thanks, JodieH.