Announcements
Have you sold crypto, shares or property? Our new capital gains tax guide has info about cost bases, calculations & more! Still got questions? Ask the Community!

ATO Community

Returning employee

This post is archived and may not be up-to-date.

Views 1212

Replies 1

Hi, I sometimes have previous employees returning to work for my company. Do I need to ask them to complete a tax declaration again even though I still have their previous tax dec on file? If there a time limit? Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Shaun,

Welcome to our Community!

A TFN declaration ceases to have effect and a new TFN declaration would be required if any of the following apply:

• When a period of 12 months passes after an eligible PAYG payment is made by the payer to the recipient and there are no further eligible PAYG payment
  • After a TFN declaration is first made and no eligible PAYG payments are made by the payer to the recipient within a 12 month period
  • After an individual, who has given a declaration to their payer, directs the payer in writing to disregard the declaration
  • When an individual, who has given a declaration to their payer, permanently ceases to receive withholding payments from the payer
  • When the ATO has made a determination to declare that all or a specified class of TFN declarations cease to have effect
  • When an entity has a new ABN and a new TFN declaration is required.

If you have further queries regarding TFN declarations, you can phone us on 13 28 66 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday to speak with an operator.

Thanks, JodieH.

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Shaun,

Welcome to our Community!

A TFN declaration ceases to have effect and a new TFN declaration would be required if any of the following apply:

• When a period of 12 months passes after an eligible PAYG payment is made by the payer to the recipient and there are no further eligible PAYG payment
  • After a TFN declaration is first made and no eligible PAYG payments are made by the payer to the recipient within a 12 month period
  • After an individual, who has given a declaration to their payer, directs the payer in writing to disregard the declaration
  • When an individual, who has given a declaration to their payer, permanently ceases to receive withholding payments from the payer
  • When the ATO has made a determination to declare that all or a specified class of TFN declarations cease to have effect
  • When an entity has a new ABN and a new TFN declaration is required.

If you have further queries regarding TFN declarations, you can phone us on 13 28 66 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday to speak with an operator.

Thanks, JodieH.