ATO Community

Self Education Expenses and FEE-HELP

This post is archived and may not be up-to-date.

Views 1051

Replies 2

Hi,

I am currently working as a Diploma Qualified Nominated Supervisor in a child care centre. Along with that, I am studying Bachelors of Early childhood Education and Care from TAFE. After finishing my bachelors, I will be promoted to a Degree Qualified Nominated Supervisor, and my wage rate will be increased too, based on Educational Services (Teachers) Award 2010. 

So far,  I have paid my fees upfront and claimed the tuition fees to be deducted from my tax return as self-education expense in the year 2017-2018. However, I am planning to utilise FEE-HELP this year, and I am wondering if I can deduct tuition fees under FEE-HELP to be deducted from my tax return as self-education expense in the year 2019-2020. The information on the ATO website is quite unclear. I know I can't claim the repayments of any HELP scheme and HECS-HELP tuition fees, but I am not sure about tuition fees via FEE-HELP.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Farah,

Based on the information you have provided the answer provided by @macfanboy is correct, you can claim tuition fees under vet fee-help, provided you meet one of the eligibility requirements.

Expenses you can claim on our website also provides more information.

I hope this helps, SueO

2 REPLIES 2

Taxicorn

Replies 1

Yes you can because they are not being subsidised by the Australian Government.

https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Income-and-deductions/In-detail/Education-and-study/?

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Farah,

Based on the information you have provided the answer provided by @macfanboy is correct, you can claim tuition fees under vet fee-help, provided you meet one of the eligibility requirements.

Expenses you can claim on our website also provides more information.

I hope this helps, SueO