Announcements
Worried you’re missing part of your refund? Remember, the low and middle income tax offset isn’t a refund on its own – it’s used to offset (or reduce) the amount of tax you pay. The offset amount you may be entitled to is automatically applied and could range between $255-$1080, depending on things like your taxable income and how much tax you’ve paid.
Still not sure? Ask the Community

ATO Community

Single Touch Payroll

This post is archived and may not be up-to-date.

I'm new

Views 1168

Replies 1

Hi

I have two questions.

1. If you commence reporting using STP during a tax year, I had heard you would still need to issue PAYG to the employees covering the non-STP period. However, then I heard the first reporting event if commencing part way through the year is Year to Date figures. Doesn't this negate the need to issue PAYG Payment Summaries then? 

2. I had heard you could get a tax agent exemption and lodge the STP information quarterly through the BAS, however this option was only available if your tax agent lodges the BAS for you through the portal, not through the business portal if you're a business who lodges themselves. If the tax agent reports it then are they required to purchase an STP product or can the info actually be lodged on the BAS?

Many thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Sevs,

Thanks for your post! There are a number of options to support initial STP reporting for entities who start reporting during the financial year, rather than on the first pay after 1 July. Your digital service provider (DSP) will provide information to support your transition and advise which methods to use. Check out our guide on transitioning to single touch payroll to find out more.

Legislation to extend STP to include employers with 19 or fewer employees is currently before parliament. The Bill has been passed by the Senate with a number of proposed amendments. It has been referred to the House of Representatives to consider the amendments put forward.

Micro employers (1–4 employees) will have a number of options that are not available to employers with 20 or more employees – such as initially allowing your registered tax or BAS agent to report quarterly, rather than each time you run your payroll.

We expect to see a range of simple, low-cost Single Touch Payroll (STP) solutions available in the market from early 2019. These solutions will best suit micro employers (with one to four employees) who need to report through STP, but do not currently have payroll software.

Hope that helps!

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Sevs,

Thanks for your post! There are a number of options to support initial STP reporting for entities who start reporting during the financial year, rather than on the first pay after 1 July. Your digital service provider (DSP) will provide information to support your transition and advise which methods to use. Check out our guide on transitioning to single touch payroll to find out more.

Legislation to extend STP to include employers with 19 or fewer employees is currently before parliament. The Bill has been passed by the Senate with a number of proposed amendments. It has been referred to the House of Representatives to consider the amendments put forward.

Micro employers (1–4 employees) will have a number of options that are not available to employers with 20 or more employees – such as initially allowing your registered tax or BAS agent to report quarterly, rather than each time you run your payroll.

We expect to see a range of simple, low-cost Single Touch Payroll (STP) solutions available in the market from early 2019. These solutions will best suit micro employers (with one to four employees) who need to report through STP, but do not currently have payroll software.

Hope that helps!