ATO Community

Sole trader work

This post is archived and may not be up-to-date.

I'm new

Views 874

Replies 2

Just wondering with my ABN getting cancelled is there a way to keep it if my work has dried up for over 12 months? My dilemma is I've just picked up work recently and seen my ABN is no longer active, so do i just do a cash in hand job and pay no tax because my ABN has been cancelled or do I have to apply before being able to do this job and accepting work? I do investigative work being pro bono at first, but now picked up a trace job that I've recently quoted with a price. Its a free country i dont understand why ABNs get cancelled not everyone can get steady work for their own business while working full-time and everyone should be entitled to the one ABN number they apply for. Should only be cancelled if someone is deceased or they choose to cancel it.
Now if I reapply for it will I be rejected if i have a select few jobs? because I don't mind doing the job cash in hand for the month and losing my business phone account and email that I use to gain potential clients with a inactive abn. Fair enough I haven't been able to claim tax on the ABN for a while but wages have been stagnant for some time while people do their own investigation work on their social medias leaving me with limited work to begin with.
What I'm trying to say is do I renew my ABN and do this one job for a month or do I just do the job without the ABN since I'm not allowed to have it if it gets cancelled all the time. Government wonders why they lose out on revenue, because they use old systems that force people onto cash in hand work. And no I do not condone cash in hand work I'm just sick and tired of trying to justify my ABN everytime its up for review, all while the work is limited and for when i do pro bono work to gain experience. Thankyou.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

Taxicorn

Replies 1

@Md06 

Reapply for your ABN.

Declare all your income, even 'cash-in-hand'

Pay tax, do not 'claim' tax.

2 REPLIES 2

Most helpful response

Taxicorn

Replies 1

@Md06 

Reapply for your ABN.

Declare all your income, even 'cash-in-hand'

Pay tax, do not 'claim' tax.

Devotee Registered Tax Practitioner

Replies 0

@Md06 @macfanboy 

Md,

A ABN is available if someone is in business.

The ATO has various ways of keeping track if someone has a ABN and not in business eg business income/expenses on a individual Tax Return.

It is the ATO's responsibility to cancel ABN's when someone is not in business.

I understand that it is ATO policy to write before cancelling a ABN.

There is a long standing discussion in tax as to when a hobby becomes a business.

I understand that someone with a hobby may be able to provide a Statement by a Supplier.

As macfanboy correctly states, a taxpayer must declare all assessable income.

Duncan