Announcements
Worried you’re missing part of your refund? Remember, the low and middle income tax offset isn’t a refund on its own – it’s used to offset (or reduce) the amount of tax you pay. The offset amount you may be entitled to is automatically applied and could range between $255-$1080, depending on things like your taxable income and how much tax you’ve paid.
Still not sure? Ask the Community

ATO Community

Super contributions

This post is archived and may not be up-to-date.

I'm new

Views 930

Replies 2

Hi. I earned just over $40k last financial year and contributed over $1k before tax. Am I eligible for government co-contribution? Tax lodged and cleared last month but don't see any contribution into my super. Or does it have to be after tax super contribution? TIA
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Community Moderator

Replies 0

Hi @Huwambrosio

Welcome to our Community.

@macfanboy is correct. To be eligible for a super co-contribution, you need to make an after-tax contribution, not a before-tax contribution. In addition to making an after-tax contribution, you also need to meet all of the other criteria as outlined in the link that @macfanboy posted.

It is also worth noting that earning $40,000 doesn't automatically make you eligible. We recommend that you have a look at the requirements of the two income tests (the income threshold test and the 10% eligible income test) that you need to meet.

If you are eligible, we make most super co-contribution payments between November and January each year. You can find out more about when we pay the co-contribution on our website.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

ChrisR

2 REPLIES 2

ATO Certified Response

Taxicorn

Replies 0

@Huwambrosio 

It has to be an after-tax contribution that you are not going to claim a tax deduction for:

https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Super/In-detail/Growing-your-super/Super-co-contribution/?page=2

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Community Moderator

Replies 0

Hi @Huwambrosio

Welcome to our Community.

@macfanboy is correct. To be eligible for a super co-contribution, you need to make an after-tax contribution, not a before-tax contribution. In addition to making an after-tax contribution, you also need to meet all of the other criteria as outlined in the link that @macfanboy posted.

It is also worth noting that earning $40,000 doesn't automatically make you eligible. We recommend that you have a look at the requirements of the two income tests (the income threshold test and the 10% eligible income test) that you need to meet.

If you are eligible, we make most super co-contribution payments between November and January each year. You can find out more about when we pay the co-contribution on our website.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

ChrisR