Announcements
Looking for answers? Search our popular topics or ask a new question.

ATO Community

Superannuation refund dilemma

This post is archived and may not be up-to-date.

Highlighted

Views 902

Replies 5

I was a resident in Australia in the year 2014/2015 and under Super section in my payslip which was being generated by Xero, it reads SGC - Fund Details Pending.

After looking this up I found out that I was meant to give my preffered Super fund but I didn't. Nevertheless, there was remittance being made on every payday towards the same.

My question is, since I already departed Australia and am trying to apply for the reimbursement of the Super money, am I able to get it back. And in such a case where are the funds being held at and which is the appropriate way to claim for that Super?

Please help - many thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @Lox

Thanks for your question.

When you make an application via the DASP online application system, if we have any records of your super, the system will automatically present an application for each super account (including super held by us) found during the search.

Super providers are required to regularly report to us contributions received for members as well as the current status of the account. Until recently that was done once a year. Depending on the fund, it is now done on a more frequent basis.

If you have a myGov account with our online services linked to it, you can view your reported super details online. The online services – super for individuals page on our website explains what information you can see there.

From what you have said, it sounds like there are potentially no super accounts on record. In other words, there is no super to be claimed. If that is the case, it could be due to a number of reasons.

Perhaps the super wasn't actually paid. The information on the pay slip is often an indication of how much super you were entitled to for that pay period, not how much has been paid. Super guarantee (SG) is a quarterly requirement while wages are typically paid weekly, fortnightly or monthly.

As my previous post suggested, it may be worth contacting your former employer. If you get the impression that you weren't actually paid the super and you know that you were entitled to it, you have the option to report your employer to us.

Check out the unpaid super page on our website for more information.

Another possibility is that it was paid but due to fees, charges, taxes and negative investment returns, the balance diminished to $0 and the account was closed. If that is the case, there isn't much that you can do about it.

The point is that you have some investigating to do. Feel free to contact us if you need us to have a look at your tax record.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

ChrisR

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted

ATO Certified Response

Community Support

Replies 3

Hi @Lox

Welcome to our Community.

If you have worked and earned super while visiting Australia on a temporary visa, you can apply to have this super paid to you as a departing Australia superannuation payment (DASP) after you leave.

You can read more about DASP and the eligibility criteria by checking out the DASP page on our website.

If this applies to you, you can submit a DASP claim electronically or in writing. Further information on how to claim your super can be accessed online. It explains how to claim it from the fund and from us.

You are correct to say that the likely reason for the 'SGC - Fund Details Pending' entry on your payslip was because your employer hadn't received super fund details from you.

If you met the super guarantee (SG) eligibility criteria, your employer should have still made SG payments for you. They would have been required to pay the super into their employer-nominated (default) super fund.

You can read more about what your employer's requirements were on the super for employers page of our website.

You could contact your former employer to find out where they paid the super but assuming that you have been a former temporary resident for some time, it is possible that we are now holding the money. You can still submit a DASP claim if we are holding the super.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

ChrisR

Highlighted

Replies 2

Hi ChrisR,

Thanks for your reply on my query.

I tried applying electronically for a refund through DASP but unfortunately the application was incomplete as DASP needs one to fill the Super fund details for them to process your application, hence the reason I pointed out the "SGC - Fund Details Pending" on my payslip. This meant that I couldn't provide the Super fund details to DASP as required in the electronic claim form application as I hadn't nominated a fund where my Super was to be remitted. 

In light of the above, my main question is:

1.   What route should one take in order to claim for that money or how should I go about claiming for that money?
  2.  Where is the money being held since it's not with any Super fund?

As a sidenote, I was a working resident in Australia under the 457 visa.

Many thanks,

Lox

Highlighted

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Community Support

Replies 1

Hi @Lox

Thanks for your question.

When you make an application via the DASP online application system, if we have any records of your super, the system will automatically present an application for each super account (including super held by us) found during the search.

Super providers are required to regularly report to us contributions received for members as well as the current status of the account. Until recently that was done once a year. Depending on the fund, it is now done on a more frequent basis.

If you have a myGov account with our online services linked to it, you can view your reported super details online. The online services – super for individuals page on our website explains what information you can see there.

From what you have said, it sounds like there are potentially no super accounts on record. In other words, there is no super to be claimed. If that is the case, it could be due to a number of reasons.

Perhaps the super wasn't actually paid. The information on the pay slip is often an indication of how much super you were entitled to for that pay period, not how much has been paid. Super guarantee (SG) is a quarterly requirement while wages are typically paid weekly, fortnightly or monthly.

As my previous post suggested, it may be worth contacting your former employer. If you get the impression that you weren't actually paid the super and you know that you were entitled to it, you have the option to report your employer to us.

Check out the unpaid super page on our website for more information.

Another possibility is that it was paid but due to fees, charges, taxes and negative investment returns, the balance diminished to $0 and the account was closed. If that is the case, there isn't much that you can do about it.

The point is that you have some investigating to do. Feel free to contact us if you need us to have a look at your tax record.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

ChrisR

Highlighted

Replies 0

Hi ChrisR,

Would ato please assist me in looking at my tax record in order for them to try and locate my Super as a result of what I had raised in the preceding thread. 

I contacted my employer and they confirmed that they remitted my Super unfortunately I can't access it. 

Can you help me out on this.

Many thanks.

Highlighted

ATO Certified Response

Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @Lox

Thanks for your post.

If your former employer has confirmed that your super was paid, presumably they told you how much was paid and where it was paid to. In turn, we recommend that you get in touch with the super fund to find out what happened to your account.

What you should do next will depend on what your super fund tells you. Your options include:

Submitting a DASP application because your super was paid correctly and you now know where it is. For more information, refer to the Departing Australia superannuation payment (DASP) page.

Reporting your employer to us because you have discovered that your super wasn't paid correctly and you would like us to investigate. For more information, refer to the unpaid super from your employer page.

Doing nothing because your super was paid correctly but the balance diminished to $0 due to fees, charges, taxes and negative investment returns and your account was closed.

Giving us a call so that we can have a look at your file. For more information, refer to the overseas enquiries section of our website's phone us page.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, ChrisR