Announcements
Are you a tax professional needing a bit more time to lodge? Check out how to apply online for a deferral, or ask the Community!

ATO Community

Re: TFN not updated at work

This post is archived and may not be up-to-date.

Views 949

Replies 1

Hi There, 

I have recently got my TFN after working for 2 Months and been deducted by 45% tax as I am an international student. Now I have informed my HR to update my TFN on their side. My question is can I claim the extra tax deducted from me for last 2 months. If I can, Could any please tell me the process.

Regards

Revanth.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @majjirevanth,

Welcome to our Community!

Yes, if you've earned income from salary and wages and had tax withheld during the financial year, you'll need to lodge an income tax return. When you lodge your return we'll calculate how much tax you're required to pay based on your income and if you've had too much withheld you'll receive a refund. We'll send you a Notice of assessment (NOA) when your return is finalised which will outline your taxable income, tax withheld and total amount of your refund.

You can lodge a tax return online with myTax, however you'll need to have a myGov account first. You can follow the steps for first time lodgers on our website. You have between 1 July to 31 October to lodge your tax return, however if you lodge in August or September most of your information may be available to pre-fill in your return.

If you have further questions you can phone us on 13 28 61 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday to speak with an operator.

Thanks, JodieH.

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @majjirevanth,

Welcome to our Community!

Yes, if you've earned income from salary and wages and had tax withheld during the financial year, you'll need to lodge an income tax return. When you lodge your return we'll calculate how much tax you're required to pay based on your income and if you've had too much withheld you'll receive a refund. We'll send you a Notice of assessment (NOA) when your return is finalised which will outline your taxable income, tax withheld and total amount of your refund.

You can lodge a tax return online with myTax, however you'll need to have a myGov account first. You can follow the steps for first time lodgers on our website. You have between 1 July to 31 October to lodge your tax return, however if you lodge in August or September most of your information may be available to pre-fill in your return.

If you have further questions you can phone us on 13 28 61 between 8am - 6pm, Monday to Friday to speak with an operator.

Thanks, JodieH.