Announcements
Worried you’re missing part of your refund? Remember, the low and middle income tax offset isn’t a refund on its own – it’s used to offset (or reduce) the amount of tax you pay. The offset amount you may be entitled to is automatically applied and could range between $255-$1080, depending on things like your taxable income and how much tax you’ve paid.
Still not sure? Ask the Community

ATO Community

Tax amendment

This post is archived and may not be up-to-date.

Views 1043

Replies 1

Hi everyone,
Back in 2016 when I did my first tax return I didn’t tick that I was an Australian resident for tax purposes. This resulted in me paying a tax debt (only around $2000) which at the time I did not know I had done wrong. Now I have gone back and amended the tax return (in 2019), filled it out correctly and it says I don’t owe anything. What I’m wondering is once the amendment has been processed will I receive back the money I paid as a debt? Has this happened to anyone before? any help will be much appreciated, Thankyou.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Anonymous

Replies 0

hi @Chelseea122 

There are strict time limits on amendments and generally they have to be done within 2 years and this is on the ATO website here.

So even though you have amended the 2016 financial year return and it shows you do not owe anything you may not get anything back if your out of that 2 year time period.

If they do not refund you anything then the only thing you can do is to lodge an objection against the 2 year time limit but even this may be futile.

A lot of people get caught out by this.

Good luck with this

ATO 13 28 61

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Anonymous

Replies 0

hi @Chelseea122 

There are strict time limits on amendments and generally they have to be done within 2 years and this is on the ATO website here.

So even though you have amended the 2016 financial year return and it shows you do not owe anything you may not get anything back if your out of that 2 year time period.

If they do not refund you anything then the only thing you can do is to lodge an objection against the 2 year time limit but even this may be futile.

A lot of people get caught out by this.

Good luck with this

ATO 13 28 61