Announcements
We’re in read-only mode while we do some scheduled maintenance to bring you a bigger, better and brighter online community.
You can still search the site to find answers or take a look at our current top 10 questions.

ATO Community

Tax deductions prior to job starting

This post is archived and may not be up-to-date.

Views 1721

Replies 2

Hi all, could appreciate some advice. 
I began a new job in the last week of june resulting in my pay being paid on the 2nd of July.
They have given me a tax summary however i noticed it is dated 01/07/2019 to 28/07/2019. with the statement saying "year to date" and not "tax ready" 
I had to buy protective clothing to begin my job in june all of which the receipt dates are for the financial year 2018-2019. 
so basically my question is can i claim my protective clothing this financial year? 

thanks in advance 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @ally123,

Welcome to our Community!

@WokkaQuokka is correct - if you started employment in June but didn't receive income until July (next financial year) you can claim a deduction for work-related expenses you incurred in June.

You can also check out our occupation and industry specific guides for more information on what you can claim specific to your industry.

Thanks, JodieH.

2 REPLIES 2

I'm new

Replies 0

Claim them in the 2018/19 return, as long as they were bought after you were contracted.  the law is about expenses being incurred to do your job, they dont necessarily have to be expended in the same year as the income.  If you had no (or under 18200) income in 2018/19 then the deduction is probably wasted, but hey you've got a job! Pretty sure you couldnt claim them in a later year

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Former Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @ally123,

Welcome to our Community!

@WokkaQuokka is correct - if you started employment in June but didn't receive income until July (next financial year) you can claim a deduction for work-related expenses you incurred in June.

You can also check out our occupation and industry specific guides for more information on what you can claim specific to your industry.

Thanks, JodieH.