Announcements
Worried you’re missing part of your refund? Remember, the low and middle income tax offset isn’t a refund on its own – it’s used to offset (or reduce) the amount of tax you pay. The offset amount you may be entitled to is automatically applied and could range between $255-$1080, depending on things like your taxable income and how much tax you’ve paid.
Still not sure? Ask the Community

ATO Community

Tax

This post is archived and may not be up-to-date.

Views 747

Replies 1

I have a casual job now which was giving me 35-45 hours a week. This week they have given me 1 shift. My ex employer said I could work for 6 days whilst not working at my current job, just these 6 days out of the rest of the financial year, do I pay tax on my ex job as a no tax free threshold this week? Or is it still registered with the ATO that I have the tax free threshold on both (thinking I wouldn’t ever go back to my old job), will I get a bill at tax time? I’m confused as my current job won’t be giving me a taxable income for the week, but my ex job will. It’s hard to explain lol.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @T99_,

Thanks for your question and don't stress, you've made the circumstances clear to me.

I recommend completing and providing the ex-employer with a Withholding declaration.

Indicate no to the tax-free threshold on the form and provide it to the Payer.

This way sufficient tax will be withheld and you shouldn't end up with a tax bill.

Any excess tax paid will be refunded through your tax return lodgement.

Let us know if you have any further questions,

JasonT

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

ATO Community Support

Replies 0

Hi @T99_,

Thanks for your question and don't stress, you've made the circumstances clear to me.

I recommend completing and providing the ex-employer with a Withholding declaration.

Indicate no to the tax-free threshold on the form and provide it to the Payer.

This way sufficient tax will be withheld and you shouldn't end up with a tax bill.

Any excess tax paid will be refunded through your tax return lodgement.

Let us know if you have any further questions,

JasonT