Announcements
Have you sold crypto, shares or property? Our new capital gains tax guide has info about cost bases, calculations & more! Still got questions? Ask the Community!

ATO Community

Taxation for Nonresident Remote Contractor

This post is archived and may not be up-to-date.

Views 717

Replies 1

Hi there, if I am a foreign citizen and reside outside Australia but provide consulting services to Australian financial practices/advisors on a contract basis, will I be taxed at the Australian Non-Resident rate for all income received from this? Or will I be taxed in my home country where I live? There is a double taxation agreement with my home country (Malaysia) and Australia. Let me know if you need any more details, thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Community Manager

Replies 0

Hi @Matt8,

Your employer has no obligation to withhold from payments of salary or wages made to foreign residents where employment services are performed overseas, even if the business is considered to be an Australian residency for tax purposes. So you may just be able to add the income to your Malaysian tax return.

Thanks, NateH

1 REPLY 1

Most helpful response

ATO Certified Response

Community Manager

Replies 0

Hi @Matt8,

Your employer has no obligation to withhold from payments of salary or wages made to foreign residents where employment services are performed overseas, even if the business is considered to be an Australian residency for tax purposes. So you may just be able to add the income to your Malaysian tax return.

Thanks, NateH